2022 Chick Order

Pics
This thread is hilarious. Instead of 2022 Chick Order it should be called Chicken Math Justifications and Prevarications. :p

I'm like a lot of you--I will only ever have the one coop, and room for max 17 or 18 chickens. I'll have to stick by that. The husband is not mean; he frankly doesn't give a rat's furry butt if I have one or twenty birds. He just won't participate in any further coopage.

Since I've never HAD chickens, I guess this will be an interesting year for me.

This thread is hilarious. Instead of 2022 Chick Order it should be called Chicken Math Justifications and Prevarications. :p

I'm like a lot of you--I will only ever have the one coop, and room for max 17 or 18 chickens. I'll have to stick by that. The husband is not mean; he frankly doesn't give a rat's furry butt if I have one or twenty birds. He just won't participate in any further coopage.

Since I've never HAD chickens, I guess this will be an interesting year for me.
I generally have between 12 and 15 and that keeps me pretty well overrun with eggs. I dont know how many eggs you go through, but I give away dozens at a time to friends and coworkers. I could cut my flock in half and still get enough eggs for us. Where's the fun in that though? I like having a bunch of chickens and everyone likes fresh eggs. I consider it a win. Sure, I pay double the feed bill I need to, but I get my chickens and my friends are all excited when I bring then eggs.

I was going to add a silver wyandotte, and a gold wyandotte to my order, coming in May. But I started to have flash backs to some wyandotte chickens I hatched out last year, (both roosters) and thinking back to other wyandottes I had. I decided to leave my order the way it was. I think they are not my thing.

Wow chicken math in reverse...

I've only ever had 2 GLW. They were both supposed to be pullets, but one ended up being a cockerel. The female eventually disappeared (We free range. It happens) the male I've had for years now. He's my main roo and has been a good guy. He's not as protective as some of the roos I've had. More of an alert the girls type than fight the intruder. He's respectful of me and treats his hens well. I have a cockerel from him that I'm raising to be his replacement. He's a GLW x olive egger. He looks like his dad, but with a CCL crest. If he inherited his dad's temperament he'll be a great addition. All birds are individuals and your past experience doesn't make the breed bad nor does mine make it good. You just take what you get and work from there. Good for you buying LESS chickens though. Most of us don't have that restraint 😆

I generally have between 12 and 15 and that keeps me pretty well overrun with eggs. I dont know how many eggs you go through, but I give away dozens at a time to friends and coworkers. I could cut my flock in half and still get enough eggs for us. Where's the fun in that though? I like having a bunch of chickens and everyone likes fresh eggs. I consider it a win. Sure, I pay double the feed bill I need to, but I get my chickens and my friends are all excited when I bring then eggs.
After doing the math, we need around 2400 to 2600 eggs a year. The chick order I placed, if no cockerels, will lay between 3,000 to 4,000 eggs the first year. So, I'll give some to my neighbors (especially if they're cool about a roo) and sell the rest--our local health food store buys eggs.

Back
Top Bottom