2023/2024 Emu Hatch-A-Long

sigh I'm not getting any younger. Here is some stuff from the archive:

can you guess what the chairs are for? This is Eric and his nine chicks (with a home-team female just behind). The chairs allow you to gauge their growth, as I can't actually handle the chicks here. You put the chairs out. Put wheat and sultanas on the top chair, and see if the chicks can reach up that far yet.

Attachments

• 20170207_060322.jpg
    20170207_060322.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
This photo tells a story of the nature of the project -- 'Planet Rothschildi.'

This is Felicity Emu, one of the three 'original' chicks of Eric's that I tamed in 2008. For years after she 'went bush,' she would turn up in spring for the little yellow flowers (Cape Weed). Felicity luuurvs little yellow flowers.

Then we had no sighting for seven years. I presumed her dead. But about three years ago, she turned up in the house-clearing, and got a mammoth serving of wheat and sultanas.

So at this second, of the hundreds of emus who have passed through over 15-and-a-half years, we can identify the two sookey females, who are here under observation. And we can identify Toosh Toosh from his tail plumage.

And Felicity is identifiable from her personality and the kiss curl on the top of her head -- but after, as I said, over fifteen years, Felicity Emu -- who is about 15 herself if she is still alive -- is one of only two of the 'gone bush' tame-wild emus of the project still identifiable.

SE

Attachments

• 20171015_141848.jpg
    20171015_141848.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 12
Who'd you get those from? My friend that I'll be hatching for is getting eggs from blonde/white pairs too and I have only heard of one person doing those, so I wonder if it's the same person.
Kalifornsky on ebay, from Texas. I was so hopeful for them. Still hoping at least one of the 2 left are alive and will hatch! The other two I got were lost in the mail system at the end of December for several extra days so I am less hopeful but we shall see. Only one ever stunk so who knows!

Kalifornsky on ebay, from Texas. I was so hopeful for them. Still hoping at least one of the 2 left are alive and will hatch! The other two I got were lost in the mail system at the end of December for several extra days so I am less hopeful but we shall see. Only one ever stunk so who knows!

Ah, I know her! My two original blonde chicks hatched from her eggs. Her eggs can hatch all three colors.

The eggs my friend has coming are from specific pairs of a white emu with a blonde emu, so if they hatch, they will be either white or blonde - no chance of standard chicks. If I hatch a white chick, I'll be keeping it - our agreement for me hatching the eggs :)

Ah, I know her! My two original blonde chicks hatched from her eggs. Her eggs can hatch all three colors.

The eggs my friend has coming are from specific pairs of a white emu with a blonde emu, so if they hatch, they will be either white or blonde - no chance of standard chicks. If I hatch a white chick, I'll be keeping it - our agreement for me hatching the eggs :)
Nice! I hope you get your white chick! When will you be setting all your eggs?

Nice! I hope you get your white chick! When will you be setting all your eggs?

I set the four last night, and the first two eggs my friend is receiving are coming next week.

@Pyxis where did your friend get her eggs? If these don't hatch I may try again.

Warbirds Farm, but I think he's just doing standard eggs now unless you were on his list for the blonde/white eggs.

I set the four last night, and the first two eggs my friend is receiving are coming next week.

Warbirds Farm, but I think he's just doing standard eggs now unless you were on his list for the blonde/white eggs.
Nice! Only 50ish days to go! The wait is sooooo long!

I've seen his videos. If these don't hatch, I'll check in there or wait for another year. I took some pictures today of the eggs. They all lean, but still can only get wiggles from 3 of them for certain. The others I sometimes think I do then I think its just my eyes or the light playing tricks. The 3 that do move are very obvious and do not need any whistling or coaxing. If I set them out on the table they start right up!
20240204_160507.jpg
20240204_155614.jpg
20240204_160256.jpg
20240204_155840.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom