21 days...Set in stone? I'm at due date and nothing...ACK!

jensaisquoi

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Livingston, Montana
I candled at 8 days and saw several live embryos. I candled again at around 15 and saw large dark shadow and large egg sac but no movement. I know I am being really paranoid but these are the offspring of my 6 lovely and gentle Delawares that were lost in a horrible coop fire three and 1/2 weeks ago; these eggs are from their last day.

I had a problem getting the temps back up after I took them off the turner day 18--didn't realize how much heat that motor was kicking. So for about a day they were a degree or two low...Is there a possibility they "Slow down" in their development as some on this forum have suggested? Or do I have a really icky spectacle in there that I may want to dispose of quickly?

I was also wondering: since my Dellie pullets were such late bloomers--so much so that I got a surprise rooster--(hence the current fertility issue) could that mean they are also slower to develop in utero? Wacky, I know, but I'm grasping at straws here.
Thanks,
Jen

Temps and humidity always go down when the turner is taken out but usually come back up within hours or a day. Just have patience, the temps and humidity could have been off and no it's not written in stone they will hatch on day 21. I've had late bloomers with low temps hatch on day 25.

I just finished my first hatch last week, 17 eggs. I didn't get ANY action until the end of day 21. I know its frustrating, maybe go to the movies or out to dinner to take your mind off of it. As soon as you walk out the door those little buggers will start to hatch
pop.gif

Thanks, all for your comforting words. I am literally bouncing off of walls now...I suspect the late-30s fertility energy I have is somehow transferring to my chicken thing...But really I miss my girls and my gentle, brave protective rooster so much and would love to have something of their stock perservere...so I guess I am being hypervigilant. Thanks, I will wait a few more days and probably wind up sleeping here in the incubator room.

best
jen

Quote:
Hang in there... mine were under a broody hen and didn't hatch until day 22, and 25. On day 27 I opened the eggs... and found a live chick, that then died. It looked like it was almost ready to hatch. I think if your temps are lower it can take longer, and it was so very cold out during this hatch that I think just getting off to get some water caused the eggs to cool faster and take longer to warm back up... so a longer incubation period. I hope you get your hatch... just wait it out if need be!

Take a deep breath. Our latest batch just hatched over the last 24 hours and they are on day 27. We had a power outage in the middle of the night on day 12 that caused the bator to drop to 78. Had 25 eggs, 4 were bad, hatched 14 so far and waiting on the final 7.

Back
Top Bottom