21 Expensive Chickens Killed By 2 Dogs

Animal Control is who I am furious with, they let that dog into the backyard after instead of capturing it, then sat on his behind while it was killing chickens. Sure the owner was irresponsible and selfish about not fixing the problem the first 5 times. However Animal control where I live is more concerned with adopting out dogs (like they did with these dogs after she surrendered them) than they are about public safety.
I probably would of gotten myself into some kind of trouble if it were me.
I’m afraid my Irish would out in full bloom.
And it’s not a pretty thing.
I would be crushed!
So sorry

If I was 20 years young I would have been arrested, and if I was on the jury for someone who roughed up animal control after that, automatic not guilty. You can't hold a position like that and blow off responsibilities after creating the problem yourself.
You just had a thought.
Report him.
What if he’s been complacent for years. What if his boss is just waiting for “just one more complaint”
What if everyone he works with is just waiting for a reason to get rid of him.

:hugs Not sure of your location (may want to update your profile) but you need to check with the laws there to find out what your recourse is. Unfortunately (as others have mentioned) most times chickens are considered property and there is no compensation for time & emotional loss. If there's a University in your area that teaches law, perhaps you could find someone there to give you some advice.

Collect whatever receipts you have on your project & if you have journals/notes that would be great to. Research as to the cost it would be to replace this birds, hatching eggs and whatever else you can but everything should be in black & white. Email whomever & keep copies of any correspondence, keep notes on any little bit pertaining to prior and the events of the attack. Maybe getting a lawyer & sue the jerk.

:fl Hope you get some resolve but our judicial system is pretty unfair :mad:

I had 2 local dogs get lose and kill a whole bunch of my chicken. These chicken represented 3 generations of breeding Breese here in my town.

The animal control didn't show up, but the local PD, the animal control was closed. Bottom line is the city gave the dogs owner a ticket, and I'm on my own to collect damages.

What's the best way to do this. I spoke to.the dogs owners, but husband doesn't seem too keen on this whole situation. Am to go to my county courthouse and file a lawsuit?

How much do I say the birds are worth? Is all my time in breeding worth nothing? Is my anguish and kids anguish with nothing?

I don't really know how to start here. I started with a dozen hatching eggs 2 years ago. I lost everything, and It was awful.

Please, anyone who's been through this, it knows how the laws work with respect to this kind of thing, please chime in.

Thanks, Tom

This is AWFUL. There is your grief, and the loss you will feel, and the financial investment and your time. Imagine if they were YOUR DOGS! That’s what happened to ME. My blue healer got into the coop and killed a brooder. It was devastating then, and caused me to have to build a chicken run and confine my previously free range chickens. I can’t imagine the loss of the entire coop. You CAN rebuild, and use this situation to change how you protect the new flock. Think of those dogs as natural predators and rebuild and protect accordingly. I have a friend in the mountains who has to protect her flock from BEARS! Can you imagine? May your future efforts be fruitful and a blessing to you and even to your neighbors.

I just saw that this original post was in December of 2018! Haha. However, reading through this conversation string, I am strangely comforted after the loss of another natural born chick. My flock is a little more than a year old and I had no desire to add to it. However, when one of the hens got all broody on me, I allowed it just to see what would happen. She’s sitting on a least a dozen eggs. The first chick hatched, and was so fun to watch once she joined the flock but I found her dead one morning a week later. The next chick, I was determined to keep alive. So, when she showed up yesterday, I put a wire rabbit cage in the coop with chick food and water but she was tiny enough to squeeze through the wire holes, so I put her in a round plastic feeder in our feed room in the barn, along with food and a chicken waterer. She was freaking out being all alone, so I put a feather duster in with her. This morning, I found her dead. I think the feather duster somehow got into the water, and somehow absorbed enough to fill up the container to a half an inch, and she must have drowned. It devastated me because I am the killer! I coudn’t contain my horror over it this morning, and came here to this site to find how to re-home all the chickens because I can’t handle the grief anymore. All of the time and effort and money I am pouring into them is not worth the sorrow and grief. I am ready to focus on the horses instead. My husband wants me to wait because I am too upset. But reading about others who have faced similar experiences is helping and I thinking he is right. I will give it some time before chucking it all.

Docheff, that is really sad :( We just had a terrible hatch, the mother hen killed 2 chicks that I couldn't get away from her fast enough, I rescued one right as she pecked it out of its shell, one hatched and 3 other eggs had fully-formed chicks inside that never pipped. Maybe they got too warm or too cold. I feel like I did everything wrong! But life is a fragile thing and you're doing your best. Don't beat yourself up over it. :hugs

I would be on a war path if that happened to my birds.. Seriously.. I would lose my mind... Neighbors need to keep their animals home.

Back
Top Bottom