21 Week old Hen having trouble standing/walking

Well my answer is she needs this
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
and note here are the vitamins needed together to help her.
Well I have a WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE for all the chickens.
It will help the sick chicken
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
each chicken
3 tbsp. of dry mash
1/4 tsp of flax seed meal (Himan kind0
1/4 cup yoguart plain kind
6 tbsp. of milk any kind
3 tsp of APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (unprocessed ACV)
add 1 vitamn E 400 mg (cut end of capsule and add to wet mash)
add 1 Selenium tablet (take and cruash tablet in tbsp. and add drop of water to dissolve)
add 1 Vit B Complex tablet ( crush tablet in tbsp. and add drop of waterm add to wet mash)
mix good and feed with vitamins for three days then take away vitamins and feed only wet mash recipe for rest of week.
then feed the wet mash probiotic recipe twice week for life
adding vitamins once a month
Ok so I made this up. Is she supposed to eat this in one day? Or do I divide it up and put the vitamins in the portion each time or is this mixed up with the vitamins and spread out throughout the day?

I would mainly concentrate on getting vitamins into her plus water. What kind are you using? Then she may eat the wet chicken feed mixture as well. Glenda should respond to your question soon enough.

She is a Silver but her sister Lucy is a Golden..
I got all 5 at the same time (the other 3 are different breeds), but from the same place at the same time so hopefully its not the Mareks. I haven't given them Vitamins so it is very possible that she has a deficiency because she started laying. I will also put the Oyster Shell in a separate container.

Thank you..I'm gonna try all the other stuff first. If it is Mareks (after all has been ruled out) is the best thing to have her euthanized?

It it *is* Marek's (and you can't know that unless you do a necropsy on a dead bird and find the tumors), it really depends on her.

Marek's has an acute phase and a latent phase. The acute phase can present with the classic imbalance, leg dangling, drooping wing. Then it can resolve, and birds who were barely able to walk one day suddenly are up and running with the rest as if nothing happened. (I think it has to do with inflammation on the sciatic nerve).

Sometimes they do fine for years and succumb to old age. Other times they do well for months, but succumb to another illness. And others rally for a few weeks then you go out and find them sprawled dead.

Others simply waste away though they eat and drink and poo.

So it really depends on the strain of Marek's and how the bird's own immune system can fight it.

Of all the reading I've done on Marek's, St. John's wort shows promise. While the studies done (for bursal disease) used liquid injected of pharmaceutical grade, if I have a suspicious case again, I will put 500 to 700 mg of St. John's wort in mash for the affected bird daily. (I can't get the pharmaceutical grade stuff...you might be able to find tincture of it.)

As to the other flock members, those that survive with no symptoms, breed from!

I have bred from a rooster that showed suspicious mild symptoms but fully recovered. Thus far all of his daughters have been fine with one exception of a daughter that was bred to a mother (Cream Legbar) which is a breed known to have had problems with Marek's.

LofMc

Poop looks good, I would continue with Glenda's diet. I've been informed if you put a @ with no space then type the person's user name, they'll respond faster? So in your case @Shortsheet
Ok I ended up mixing the dose of vitamins she stated in the recipe..the only thing I added was liquid calcium. Mixed it all together and have been giving it to her in hourly doses, tomorrow will be an issue because I have to go to work so I'll just put it in a trough and hope it doesn't spill.
I noticed she likes to poop when I pick her up and put her outside. Hoping she doesn't wait 10 hours for me to do that tomorrow

It it *is* Marek's (and you can't know that unless you do a necropsy on a dead bird and find the tumors), it really depends on her.

Marek's has an acute phase and a latent phase. The acute phase can present with the classic imbalance, leg dangling, drooping wing. Then it can resolve, and birds who were barely able to walk one day suddenly are up and running with the rest as if nothing happened. (I think it has to do with inflammation on the sciatic nerve).

Sometimes they do fine for years and succumb to old age. Other times they do well for months, but succumb to another illness. And others rally for a few weeks then you go out and find them sprawled dead.

Others simply waste away though they eat and drink and poo.

So it really depends on the strain of Marek's and how the bird's own immune system can fight it.

Of all the reading I've done on Marek's, St. John's wort shows promise. While the studies done (for bursal disease) used liquid injected of pharmaceutical grade, if I have a suspicious case again, I will put 500 to 700 mg of St. John's wort in mash for the affected bird daily. (I can't get the pharmaceutical grade stuff...you might be able to find tincture of it.)

As to the other flock members, those that survive with no symptoms, breed from!

I have bred from a rooster that showed suspicious mild symptoms but fully recovered. Thus far all of his daughters have been fine with one exception of a daughter that was bred to a mother (Cream Legbar) which is a breed known to have had problems with Marek's.

LofMc
Ok this is helpful. Thank you. You also might be right about a fungal infection too, so I'm looking at calling my vet as well.

Ok I ended up mixing the dose of vitamins she stated in the recipe..the only thing I added was liquid calcium. Mixed it all together and have been giving it to her in hourly doses, tomorrow will be an issue because I have to go to work so I'll just put it in a trough and hope it doesn't spill.
I noticed she likes to poop when I pick her up and put her outside. Hoping she doesn't wait 10 hours for me to do that tomorrow

Instead of a trough style, try a plastic dog dish with a wide base. She may walk it it but won't tip over. Maybe take her poop before you go to work & asap you get home. She just maybe potty trained :)

Instead of a trough style, try a plastic dog dish with a wide base. She may walk it it but won't tip over. Maybe take her poop before you go to work & asap you get home. She just maybe potty trained :)
LOL..a potty trained chicken..but yeah I will take her out and then rush home..I might be able to get my adult daughter to come over and take her out mid-way. Oh and good point on the dog dish..Ive got lots of those :)
She seems fine except for her walking and panting often..it stumps me..she is eating fine, drinking fine, pruning herself, alert checking out stuff on the ground and in the air, poop seems pretty normal. Im going to talk to my vet tomorrow and talk about a fungal infection.

sorry about the time in answering
I have been having computer problems
Now to the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
The mix should be made at night so the liquid soakin and
then in morning if dry add a little more liquid to make like a cookie dough.
That will not spill then
she should eat it when you leave it in thecage.
hopefully she has gotten better

sorry about the time in answering
I have been having computer problems
Now to the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
The mix should be made at night so the liquid soakin and
then in morning if dry add a little more liquid to make like a cookie dough.
That will not spill then
she should eat it when you leave it in thecage.
hopefully she has gotten better
Thank you! She is still not walking. She does move by flapping her wings and walking on her knees. I put her outside for some fresh air every couple of hours (still separated from the others)..she seems to really like being outside.

Back
Top Bottom