21 Week old Hen having trouble standing/walking

Ok this is helpful. Thank you. You also might be right about a fungal infection too, so I'm looking at calling my vet as well.
Hmmm...she is not doing well if she is laying down when she poops.

It could be injury. It might be aspergillis (fungal infection) or botulism as well. Check to make sure those lawn clippings aren't molding at the bottom if you pulled them out of a previously used lawn mower bag that had older clippings.

The other thought is indeed Marek's.

The Marek's vaccination is not 100% and it does not provide immunity. It is considered a "leaky" vaccine which merely helps to prevent the tumors that grow from the major strains of the virus. The birds still acquire Marek's but if the vaccination has done its job, they don't develop the dangerous tumors.

However, Marek's, being a virus, is also morphing, so like the flu virus, you can get a strain that is not covered by the vaccination, or your bird simply is more vulnerable to the virus.

Hopefully she will snap out of it. I personally would give her some liquid calcium supplement in case she has dangerously low levels. That might help too since this has happened at point of lay (but Marek's often hits at that stage too).

My thoughts
LofMc
The vet didn't think it was Aspergillus, because the only symptom she has is that she isn't walking. She has no nose or mouth drainage, no wheezing, no trouble breathing, no outstretched neck. She does pant but not all the time.
and she really isn't paralyzed because her feet kick and move when I pick her up..I'm stumped..however she is moving around on her elbows today..so better than yesterday..

She just laid an egg!!! I don't get it! She just rolled it and sat on it!
I made a pen outside bc she seems much happier..she's been walking around on her elbows all day..I come outside after about 30 mins and bam she laid one..
If she was sick would she still be laying?

Attachments

• IMG_3908.JPG
    IMG_3908.JPG
    819.4 KB · Views: 14
TRY THIS ON YOUR CHICKEN

National Poultry News
· April 17 ·
MONISTAT THREE FOR
(1) VENT GLEET
(2) EGG BOUND HEN
(3) SOUR CROP Sign of yeast infection

MONISTAT 3 HAS miconazole Nitrate
drug stores should have it as it is a human yeast infection drug.
the box contains 3 suppositories and cream( WHICH COULD BE USED ON RED REAR ENDS OF CHICKENS.
Cut the suppositories in parts and feed chicken twice a day 1/3 suppository till all 9 parts oF suppositories are gone hen should be okay.
the lady claims it works and several ladies tried it and it works on chickens amazingly.

Monistat Complete Therapy, 3 Ovule Inserts (3 suppositories)

Glenda Heywood well for weight gain do as George didley suggested on another subject to/ IE; take corn and soak it in milk with cream n it. I imagine he ment over night and feed it the next day. Leaving the corn sosaing in the milk & cream. this will put weight on any bird hen or meat bird. I would feed it twice a week till you feel the hens ave gained weight..

Karen Garnes Thank you Glenda. You are a life saver!!

Glenda Heywood Well my other answer is my WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR THE CHICKENS. I WOULD DO ThIS:1 cup of chicken mash, crumbles, or pellets. what ever you use. 2 cups of milk any kind sour or sweet, 1/4 FLAX SEED MEAL, 1/2 cup YOUGART 1 TSP OF BRAGG'S APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.

Karen Garnes I will...thanks a million!!

Glenda Heywood YOUR WELCOME I always enjoy your comments, as it is important to have a clean healthy flock weather you have 3 or a 100 chickens.

Glenda Heywood well my experience is with chicks having coccidiosis. the chick will stop eating on day 1:day 2 it is shivering and huddles up in dark corner: and by day three it is huddled over in a dark corner shivering. and getting ready to die.
SO I ALWAYS CHECKED EVERY CORNER IN THE CHICK HOUSE FOR A HUDDLED UP CHICK. Then gave sulmet or corid for coccidiosis.

I know there is an article on either Glenda Heywood, National Poultry News or National Poultry News#3. go down thru the articles and you will see the article there.

Lynn Jean Garber Jessmon Very interesting.

Karen Garnes Copper sulfate for sour crop..just a pinch.

Karen Garner I wondered about hat myself.

Shari Judd Works on dogs when they have ear infection which is yeast but must clean with desolved baking soda first

Shari Judd Do they eat it for sour crop?

Glenda Heywood yes I think so it is given down the throat. Any way it sounded as such

Glenda Heywood Since they are suppositories for humans :IE: females the suppository is not that big.

Shari Judd So sorry I didn't even proof read before I posted , its dissolved baking soda I boiled

Glenda Heywood Shari thanks for commenting, it is good advise.

Karen Garnes What is vent fleet and how can you tell that from coccidia?? I have treated 3 for what I thought was that. Lost them. Please help.
Glenda Heywood Vent Gleet is when the hen get infection in her vent. And that id serious and these suppositories put in the vent will cure it or give it by mouth also.

Karen Garnes I have the cream here. I used that sulpha med. But they never gained any weight back even tho they were eating.

Glenda Heywood well for weight gain do as George didley suggested on another subject to/ IE; take corn and soak it in milk with cream n it. I imagine he ment over night and feed it the next day. Leaving the corn sosaing in the milk & cream. this will put weight on any bird hen or meat bird. I would feed it twice a week till you feel the hens ave gained weight..

Karen Garnes Thank you Glenda. You are a life saver!!

Any idea what black poop means?
Oh never mind I did give her a couple of blackberries today..that would do it .
Keep up with vitamins & Glenda's probiotic diet, give it couple of weeks & keep us updated.
Necked Betty hates the mash..I cant get her to eat it. I went a whole day with her not eating, even after exchanging it for fresh mash..She only got 2 days worth of the vitamins. She seems to be doing better, meaning she gets up on her feet for a second or two but then goes back down. She uses her knees to walk around, she gets up and down the ladder to the coop by flapping her wings and somewhat using her feet. I got it on video but it wont let me down load it here, saying its too big of a file. I am going to upload a picture of her feet. It appears that her right foot doesn't act right, but her left does, meaning that her right foot kinda curls sideways when her other foot spreads normally. So I wonder if she does have a neurological issue such as a tumor on her spine type thing causing that. The joints seem to move fine, and she kicks and scratches me when I pick her up, so I know her legs work..lol. I feel bad for her because she wants to be with her sisters. They now treat her horrible when they come in contact, they peck at her head, eyes and comb. So I only let her visit when its supervised by me. Still stumped on what is causing her issue..but good news she is still laying eggs. What a trooper!

Attachments

• IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    837.3 KB · Views: 11
I don't think the video button thingy works - how's that for techno speak:D
Most people have to upload to youtube or vimeo then provide us link.

Just so we are all on the same page -- you're giving her Vitamin E & B along with Selenium?

Is she drinking o.k.?
As for eating, provide her with her normal poultry feed (layer?) or some chick starter/flock raiser - if she will eat any of these that would be good. You can always add the vitamins or direct dose her with those. If she is completely off feed, try some chopped egg or tuna.

It's so very hard to know what's going on with her -treat as a vitamin deficiency, but as mentioned in previous posts it could very well be a disease like Marek's, but without testing there's no way to know.
MAREKS
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

You're doing good taking care of her - the worry would be if she is walking on her hocks a lot, check those out for any developing sores. She may do well being placed in a sling for several hours a day (monitored) to get her up and not laying down so much. I'll post a couple of photos for the basic concept - if you Google "chicken sling" and look at the images you will find a lot of creative ideas.
Keep us posted.

upload_2017-9-16_14-17-8.png

upload_2017-9-16_14-17-20.png

Any idea what black poop means?
What have the other poops looking like? Black might be from eating dark greens, or from iron if rhere is any in her vitamins, or possibly blood in her GI tract. Not sure that I would suspect vent gleet from that, but not an expert. Because of walking on her hocks, I would make sure that she is getting riboflavin (vitamin B2.)

I don't think the video button thingy works - how's that for techno speak:D
Most people have to upload to youtube or vimeo then provide us link.

Just so we are all on the same page -- you're giving her Vitamin E & B along with Selenium?

Is she drinking o.k.?
As for eating, provide her with her normal poultry feed (layer?) or some chick starter/flock raiser - if she will eat any of these that would be good. You can always add the vitamins or direct dose her with those. If she is completely off feed, try some chopped egg or tuna.

It's so very hard to know what's going on with her -treat as a vitamin deficiency, but as mentioned in previous posts it could very well be a disease like Marek's, but without testing there's no way to know.
MAREKS
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

You're doing good taking care of her - the worry would be if she is walking on her hocks a lot, check those out for any developing sores. She may do well being placed in a sling for several hours a day (monitored) to get her up and not laying down so much. I'll post a couple of photos for the basic concept - if you Google "chicken sling" and look at the images you will find a lot of creative ideas.
Keep us posted.

View attachment 1137607

View attachment 1137608
Yes I have been trying to give her all 3 vitamins in the mash but she won't eat it, well she did for 2 days..but not the 3rd and I don't think she got enough.
Ok..this sling is awesome looking..I will have to see if I can get someone to make it for me..I'm mechanically capable..not sewing..hahaha..
She is eating the heck out of everything else but the mash with the vitamins in it..LOL. The past two days she has started to walk a little on her feet..but only for a couple of seconds. I have checked out her legs and massage them several times a night. So at this time she does not have sores but I could see that happening if she doesn't start walking normal again. Its just so crazy because she is acting normal except the panting (off and on even though the other chickens are not panting) and not being able to walk right!!! So do you think I can crush up the selenium, b complex and put it in her food in a dry format? Maybe drizzle the vitamin e over it? Oh and yes she is drinking normally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom