21 week old hens not laying

Pics

StonyCreekFarm

Chirping
Dec 4, 2018
West Virginia
Hello all!!

I have 15, 21 week old hens and they haven't started laying yet. We are in northern WV, so it has been getting dark around 4:30-5 for a few weeks now. They free range when we are home to supervise them (I get home around 3:30p), as we have coyote and racoon problems. I'm currently finishing up a bag of grower/finisher feed and we don't have supplimental light/heat in the coop. Aside from waiting (impatiently) what should I do? I did witness one of our roosters mounting a hen today!

We have....
3 australorps
4 Easter eggers
4 salmon favorilles
4 wynadottes

Keep on grower till first egg with poultry grit and oyster shell on the side. After Dec. 21 the winter solstice daylight hours will start increasing. We are at about 8 hours right now and will need to increase to 14 hours of daylight per day to stimulate egg production. My pullets are 28 weeks and in same boat. Waiting. After first eggs should switch to 16% layer feed with supplements on the side.

7099FF6F-A199-4B96-B73D-BCC20B1FC5BD.gif
A869069D-9A74-49FE-9DBB-608B50539AE8.gif

Hello all!!

I have 15, 21 week old hens and they haven't started laying yet. We are in northern WV, so it has been getting dark around 4:30-5 for a few weeks now. They free range when we are home to supervise them (I get home around 3:30p), as we have coyote and racoon problems. I'm currently finishing up a bag of grower/finisher feed and we don't have supplimental light/heat in the coop. Aside from waiting (impatiently) what should I do? I did witness one of our roosters mounting a hen today!

We have....
3 australorps
4 Easter eggers
4 salmon favorilles
4 wynadottes

Back
Top Bottom