22% Mash for Winter?

I like animal protein in feed, but I have next to no options for that around here. The only one I have is a local organic mash that adds fish meal, but since I no longer feed mash, I am out of luck. I used to feed Purina game bird feed because it contained animal protein, but the feed store quit carrying the feed with animal protein in it several years ago. They now get Purina feed with no animal protein, so it is not that easy. I feed 16% organic feed & my birds do quite well. I supplement with soldier fly larva or grass fed scraps from my the meat I get.
If you want a good feed with good fishmeal in it, go to the Fertrell site an put in your zip. There are lots of feed dealers near you that use their products.

Yes, the local feed has Fertrell minerals & Fish meal. Point is I no longer use mash, because I go away frequently & it doesn't flow well through my feeder! Thanks. I also don't like lugging around 80 lb. bags anymore!

I read too much about feeding chickens and it starts to get too complicated for me! I figured instead of extra protein in winter, why not some good fats like sunflower, flax, etc. Moderation and variety, of course. I also plan to sprout some greens, and I will start giving them some of the juicing pulp. I put out a bird feed mix on a rock for the birds but the chickens seemed to like it also. It has dried cranberry, peanuts, sunflower (unshelled), and a couple other things. I am new to caring for chickens but in the beginning, just by observation and common sense, I would put out fresh cold water in the summer several times a day. I am sure they must keep up the water intake if they are eating too many dried kinds of foods. Same thing with feeding them. It's a little trial and error. My chickens free range and I have lost a few, but to go back and coop them up now seems difficult. I have a 10x10 run fenced on the top and sides for 9 chickens. I watch the yard about a half hour or so before they are to go in and try eliminate one getting snatched up. Would anyone suggest guineas as a help around the yard as watchers?? We also have cows wandering around so I hope that discourages some predators also.

I read too much about feeding chickens and it starts to get too complicated for me! I figured instead of extra protein in winter, why not some good fats like sunflower, flax, etc. Moderation and variety, of course. I also plan to sprout some greens, and I will start giving them some of the juicing pulp. I put out a bird feed mix on a rock for the birds but the chickens seemed to like it also. It has dried cranberry, peanuts, sunflower (unshelled), and a couple other things. I am new to caring for chickens but in the beginning, just by observation and common sense, I would put out fresh cold water in the summer several times a day. I am sure they must keep up the water intake if they are eating too many dried kinds of foods. Same thing with feeding them. It's a little trial and error. My chickens free range and I have lost a few, but to go back and coop them up now seems difficult. I have a 10x10 run fenced on the top and sides for 9 chickens. I watch the yard about a half hour or so before they are to go in and try eliminate one getting snatched up. Would anyone suggest guineas as a help around the yard as watchers?? We also have cows wandering around so I hope that discourages some predators also.
Feed needs balance so changing it over winter is not good practice ...Fatty liver syndrome comes to mind...

Just a note on peanuts and birds... The oils do work their way into the eggs and presumably the meat. So people with nut allergies can have problems with the eggs.

I'm not actually sure if that is true ?
I'll check that out.....
I think it depends on level of sensitivity, but we've had at least one case reported here where a neighbor went into anaphylactic shock from eggs. The OP was feeding peanuts as a treat. So likely all kinds of concentration issues, but something to be cautious of.

Proteins are a little harder to digest and stays in there system longer and in turn helps produce body heat.

To me the best thing anyone in a cold climate could do for there birds is feed a higher protein feed in the winter and cut out 90% of all low protein treats.

Body heat is regulated by internal mechanisms... a calorie is a calorie is a calorie! Both carbs and protein contain 4 calories/gram. I would like to agree that protein burns longer... but that's not what the calorie content say. :confused: Fat has 9 calories per gram. In theory the fat provides the MOST long term energy... But of course that wouldn't be healthy because that is JUST energy and not nutrients.

Balance is key... too much protein, you just get extra stinky expensive poo. :sick Too little protein, poor quality birds/eggs/hatches. Like you say... mine are also heritage/dual purpose/non hatchery breeds. And yes, it is important to have the amino acids that are provided by animal products. The feeds without animals product *should* have the amino acids added in as an ingredient. I just use Purina Flock Raiser and my birds get animal protein from pasture, plus occasional meal worms or left overs.... and OF COURSE they love scrambled egg sometimes! :D

I think it depends on level of sensitivity, but we've had at least one case reported here where a neighbor went into anaphylactic shock from eggs. The OP was feeding peanuts as a treat. So likely all kinds of concentration issues, but something to be cautious of.
Some people develop allergies to eggs though so could be a coincidence ?....Great info though....

Back
Top Bottom