22% Mash for Winter?

I read too much about feeding chickens and it starts to get too complicated for me! I figured instead of extra protein in winter, why not some good fats like sunflower, flax, etc. Moderation and variety, of course. I also plan to sprout some greens, and I will start giving them some of the juicing pulp. I put out a bird feed mix on a rock for the birds but the chickens seemed to like it also. It has dried cranberry, peanuts, sunflower (unshelled), and a couple other things. I am new to caring for chickens but in the beginning, just by observation and common sense, I would put out fresh cold water in the summer several times a day. I am sure they must keep up the water intake if they are eating too many dried kinds of foods. Same thing with feeding them. It's a little trial and error. My chickens free range and I have lost a few, but to go back and coop them up now seems difficult. I have a 10x10 run fenced on the top and sides for 9 chickens. I watch the yard about a half hour or so before they are to go in and try eliminate one getting snatched up. Would anyone suggest guineas as a help around the yard as watchers?? We also have cows wandering around so I hope that discourages some predators also.
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry, fat has calories but NOT nutrients. So it will fill them up but it won't benefit their laying and may actually hinder it. That's why not. So you should NOT be giving your treats at a level more than 10% of their total intake. Of course, I see you do say MODERATION. :)

Offering sunflower seeds to your chickens now and then is fine but keep in mind that whole sunflower seeds can deplete proteins and there is a lot of "by-pass" material, meaning a lot of whats in a whole sunflower seed passes right through them.

Flax seed isn't all that great, too much can make your eggs taste fishy, cause liver problems, reduced egg size, reduced feed intake (which can be a bad thing) etc.
If I remember correct flax should be fed at less than 2% of there diet so if your feed contains flax seed (linseed) I wouldn't offer it at all.

Now offering a high fat treat to chickens that are on a low protein diet could lead to
Fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome (FLHS). In a poultry feed you want proteins above 17.5% and fats below 3.5%.

@EggSighted4Life
Yes a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and both carbs and protein contain 4 calories/gram but it takes less time for a chicken to break down carbs in there system to excess the calories than with proteins so since proteins take longer to digest they are in there system longer.

Back
Top Bottom