22 weeks, no eggs yet. Y'all reassure me!

zoomblur

In the Brooder
May 19, 2019
I have 22 week old Wyandottes and RIRs that still haven't started laying. They have everything they need...layer pellets started at 16 weeks, oyster shell at 18, plenty of extra protein and green scraps. The birds are clearly eating well and look very healthy. Temps have started to cool off from the hot summer heat in Texas, but not cold so no sign of molting. They also have started acting strangely aggressive--not in a bad way--but they're not my baby chicks anymore. Are we close? Thanks!

I have 22 week old Wyandottes and RIRs that still haven't started laying. They have everything they need...layer pellets started at 16 weeks, oyster shell at 18, plenty of extra protein and green scraps. The birds are clearly eating well and look very healthy. Temps have started to cool off from the hot summer heat in Texas, but not cold so no sign of molting. They also have started acting strangely aggressive--not in a bad way--but they're not my baby chicks anymore. Are we close? Thanks!

:thumbsupsounds like you have done everything just right! Watch for their combs to get red, they may start to squat in front of you (submissive) and you can check their pin bones just above their vent. If you can lay two fingers flat between the pin bones (on the outside of her body!!) get your egg cartons ready!!:yesss: I think your mention of "strangely aggressive" is just them working out their pecking order.

My Prod Red started at 19 weeks but my Columbian Wyandotte is STILL dragging her feet at 29 weeks! I feel ya, there! My ISA Brown just started yesterday and she’s 18 weeks, so she beat her big sister by quite a bit, haha. I’m hoping my CW is close.

My Prod Red started at 19 weeks but my Columbian Wyandotte is STILL dragging her feet at 29 weeks! I feel ya, there! My ISA Brown just started yesterday and she’s 18 weeks, so she beat her big sister by quite a bit, haha. I’m hoping my CW is close.
Oh yeah, she she’s only 1 to 1.5 fingers wide on her pelvic bones so I may have a while longer....

my gold wyandotte is not laying either and is about 24 -26weeks. Her comb is still not bright red. Mine seems shyer than the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom