228,000 Eggs Recalled 11.9.10

Quote:
yummy
sickbyc.gif

not dry dry but just make sure theres not any raw liquids.

Quote:
yummy
sickbyc.gif

Which would be gross. If I wanted a scrambled egg I would make some. I LOVE fried eggs. Over medium, lots of yolk.

Agreed, it isn't as if the USDA doesn't know this. They almost stopped restaurants at one time from serving eggs over easy for this very reason. If the big egg companies would do a little more to keep the product cleaner, this also wouldn't happen. All in who you blame but I am a big fan in putting the blame where it begins. They will never be 100 percent but they sure can do better.

Quote:
Actually they do. Not that I'm an advocate for factory eggs - but they found the salmonella as part of their ROUTINE TESTING and issued a recall BEFORE anyone was reported sick. That's what is supposed to happen...
The company acted Friday after the Food and Drug Administration found salmonella in a routine sample test at a small Ohio farm that provided eggs to Cal-Maine.

No reports of salmonella have been linked to sales of the recalled eggs.​

Quote:

Which would be gross. If I wanted a scrambled egg I would make some. I LOVE fried eggs. Over medium, lots of yolk.

sickbyc.gif

Yes, its not surprising, but the USDA should be more strict. I mean if it were my son daughter friend or uncle, that died because the USDA was too lenient, (which they are) that upsets me.

A few of my thoughts on this:

The press is exaggerating this by stating the number of eggs. It was 24,000 dozen eggs that were recalled. A far cry from the problems of this past summer.

There were no illnesses tied to this. Under the new FDA regulations for salmonella control, producers are required to do routine environmental sampling. If salmonella e. is found in a layer house then the next step is to start sampling eggs to see if any eggs are contaminated.

It sounds to me like the Ohio farm had a positive environmental test and then for some reason the FDA told their distributors about this. It doesn't seem right to me that a distributor should be able to make a recall based on a preliminary environmental sampling without allowing the producer to follow through with the FDA required testing and make an actual determination on whether eggs were contaminated or not.

Or is there something else going on behind this recall? Cal-Maine is the largest producer and distributor of eggs in the United States and buys eggs from the commodity market for distribution under their own brands. Their stated goal is to continue expanding and to continue consolidating national egg sales under their company. The Ohio barn tested positive October 9th and the FDA told Cal-Maine about in the first week of November. The eggs in question were sold with Sell By dates of November 7/8/9. Those eggs are long gone. This recall costs Cal-Maine nothing, allows them to point the finger at another producer and throw the competition under the bus. Obviously there were more eggs that were distributed from the Ohio farm, but why was Cal-Maine the only one to issue a recall?

On a side note, I read some comments elsewhere where several people said that they were appalled by this and recommended that everybody buy Eggland's Best eggs, since their hens were treated better and kept under better conditions. I had to point out to them that Eggland's Best is a Cal-Maine brand name and they really don't know what they are getting in those cartons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom