Jelly egg and tiny lash egg?

Kakapothechicken

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
Hi, I have been finding a lot of broken eggs in my chicken house recently. As well as getting some eggs with thin, papery or jelly shells. There are some older (3-4 year old) warren (uk term for hybrid intensive layer breed) hens in the group.

Tonight I found an unbroken jelly egg with what appear to be a lash egg attached. I think they hadn’t seen it because it was dark as when I shone the torch on it they were suddenly very interested (there are two hens who are aggressive egg eaters if they see eggs in daylight).

I am wondering what I should do. Is there anything I should be very concerned about with this? (I think I read once it can be connected to salmonella presence in the reproductive tract, I may be remembering that totally wrong though!)

I think I will cut open the little bobble on the side to see what’s inside. There appears to be a very thin coating (it looks like spray paint) of shell on most of the egg but not on the pointy end.

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1845.jpeg
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 6
That looks like a bit of lash material. It's not unusual for production breeds to get reproductive issues around that age, diet can compare it. What is their diet?

That looks like a bit of lash material. It's not unusual for production breeds to get reproductive issues around that age, diet can compare it. What is their diet?
They get a layers mash with virtually unlimited access (feeder refilled to top daily). I can look at the composition of the mash but it is the stuff they feed indoor barn hens as a complete diet, it contains grains, oyster shell and fish meal but I can’t remember what else or in what proportions.
They are outdoors in a very large woodland enclosure so are scratching through a mixture of leaf litter, sticks and stones. They also get chicken safe kitchen scraps such as rice, peas, sweetcorn, melon seeds, squash seeds and offcuts, pumpkin seeds, slightly overripe pears and apples, grapes (sliced up) and anything else chicken safe that is going to waste.

Hi, I have been finding a lot of broken eggs in my chicken house recently. As well as getting some eggs with thin, papery or jelly shells.

I am wondering what I should do. Is there anything I should be very concerned about with this? (I think I read once it can be connected to salmonella presence in the reproductive tract, I may be remembering that totally wrong though!)
I think it looks like lash material as well.
Do you have vet care? You can try an antibiotic to see if that helps with the infection and inflammation. Salpingitis can be caused by a number of things.

If you can figure out which hen is laying the soft shelled egg, I'd also give her extra Calcium for 5-7days to see if that helps firm up her shell. 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 is a good choice, but I'm not sure what you might have available. Calcium Carbonate will work too.

Do you provide Oyster Shell (Soluble Grit) for your hens? If not, then try that too, just put out a small dish and the hens will take pieces as they need them.

Back
Top Bottom