What just came out of my chicken?? Lash Egg... would they eat it???

raintower

Hatching
May 20, 2023
Long-time lurker, have been keeping chickens for about 5 years but something just happened that I absolutely need to try to to understand. Going to try to give some pertinent info in case any of this factors in, (ie: change/stress).

FLOCK SITUATION:
I have a small flock of 4 (3 sisters that are two year old Blue Orpingtons and 1 Plymouth Rock that is about 4 years old). I had a Sagitta that had an ongoing crop problem (severe pendulous crop that kept going sour and was absolutely picked on non-stop, after a year of trying to manage with a crop bra and other remedies, we made the difficult decision to euthanize her yesterday).

HEALTH SITUATION:
This post is about the 4 year old Plymouth Rock She is top hen. Has never had any other issues. Looks fantastic feather-wise and has a bright red and healthy comb. Lately I have been having very thin shells. They have fresh oyster shells at all times and I use a quality feed. The thin shells I think are the reason we have had a newer egg eating issue. I feel certain that its one or two of the younger sisters doing this so I made a roll away nesting box and just implemented that yesterday as well. I used the exact same nesting boxes (so no real change) and have a nice soft cushion underneath. Also worth noting, I had given them all a dosing of Nutri-Drench about a week ago when I was trying to figure out what they might be missing that is resulting in the thin shells.

THE WHAT THE HECK SITUATION:
Because of the new roll away boxes I have been watching the coop more closely today from the window to see if someone is laying. None of my chickens in this flock are vocal (??) so no egg songs to listen for. One egg from a Blue was already laid today, no problem. Then I see that Betty goes into the coop to lay and was in there for much longer than usual. I went out on my patio and since she heard me she came running out because she expects a small handfullof oats that I sometimes throw. Here is where it gets baffling..... the other three girls all go for her vent area like crazy. She turns around and I see this yellow mass. Not yellow/orange like yolk, if I had to say, maybe lighter and definitely more firm and kinda large (maybe like 2" in un-uniform shape/size). They grabbed chunks off and all fought for it like it was some prized treat. The rest fell out/off and Betty herself gobbled it all up lightning fast. It happened in 10 seconds so no time for pictures. Looking at pictures online, I wouldn't think it was a shell-less egg (never had one that I know of) and definitely no liquidy yolk or wetness. Then heard about Lash Egg's and I guess it could have possibly looked like that from what I recall. But she definitely doesn't seem sick in anyway (I know chickens generally hide sickness well). If I didn't see that with my own eyes I never would have thought anything is wrong with her. Do chickens generally eat lash eggs??? Any other ideas??

Thanks!!

Last edited:
You mention a hand ful of oats...do you feed treats like this daily or often/regularly?

Yes..they can and will eat anything.

The only treats I ever give them with any regularity are sometimes a handful of organic oats or organic hard white wheat, but I did give them some raw cabbage yesterday for the first time.

The only treats I ever give them with any regularity are sometimes a handful of organic oats or organic hard white wheat, but I did give them some raw cabbage yesterday for the first time.
Please stop feeding treats regularly. Feeding these take away from the bird getting a balanced diet which causing crop and laying issues like what causes lash eggs.

The feed you feed is a whole grain type feed or a pellet or crumble?
Is it a LAYER type feed?

Please stop feeding treats regularly. Feeding these take away from the bird getting a balanced diet which causing crop and laying issues like what causes lash eggs.

The feed you feed is a whole grain type feed or a pellet or crumble?
Is it a LAYER type feed?
Thanks for the advice. Will do. Yes, Layer and it is pellet.

If the thing that came out was in fact a lash egg, would the chickens who ate some of it get sick from it?

Does the virus/bacteria that cause lash egg, cause thin shells.... I am trying to learn about Salpingitis now.

Back
Top Bottom