Lash egg

Scooter1A

Chirping
Jun 29, 2023
I just found my first and hopefully last lash egg. The other chickens ate it. So this is from a viral infection? Not sure which chicken it came from. Any chance that the chicken that laid it will be ok? I don't see any signs of sickness. I have never seen this before.

Salpingitis can be from viral or bacterial infection.

If you don't have a hen that is acting poorly at the moment, then there's no one to treat at this time.

Here's some info about Salpingitis a.k.a. Lash Egg.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/
I had read those articles yesterday and were helpful. It's a rhode island red and probably the one that molted this winter. Culling my herd is not an option so we shall see if one doesn't make it. I've noticed one hanging back and sleeping alot so she's probably the one. I thought it was just the molting. She sure acts good today. First lash I've ever seen.

I had read those articles yesterday and were helpful. It's a rhode island red and probably the one that molted this winter. Culling my herd is not an option so we shall see if one doesn't make it. I've noticed one hanging back and sleeping alot so she's probably the one. I thought it was just the molting. She sure acts good today. First lash I've ever seen.
If you think it's the RIR, just watch her close, if you notice she's having a hard time, then probably it is her, but you want to be pretty certain she's the right one since you can try giving an antibiotic to see if that helps with the inflammation and some infection. Antibiotics are not a cure, but they can often provide some relief, comfort and may extend life for a while.
Amoxicillin is commonly used for reproductive infection. It's very hard to source at this time, if you have vet care, ask for a script.

Some do use Enrofloxacin (Baytril) but it's not approved for use in poultry, do your research to determine if you want to use such a strong and power (yet effective) medication.

Back
Top Bottom