HELP!! impacted crop of non eating hen with known reproductive issues (Salpingitis and lash eggs)

This drug is amoxicillin on steroids. I am guessing the vet is prescribing it as a final assault attempt on all of this hen's infections, meaning there is no next thing to try if this fails. The only danger of this particular drug is that it might not work and instead render the patient immune to further effectiveness of amoxicillin, which is moot in this case as this hen is in her final days anyway.

If it's going to work, you should see improvement by 48 hours. If she doesn't, then that's it, you've then tried everything there is.

Hi everyone I am becoming very anxious about the ballooned crop still it’s been nearly 3 days, should the vet have emptied it? Why only the meds? Should I take her elsewhere? To have it emptied? Should I attempt to help empty it? Should I just leave her crop along and just continue with meds and let her eat and drink as she pleases? 😩 trying to stay calm and do as the doctor says but she is my baby.

I’m just remembering that the last animal I took there was a bunny with gi stasis and the doctor gave me critical care to keep feeding the bunny and give the bunny fluids, but the bunny ended up dying after 5ish days 😞 and this is basically gi stasis. Should I take her elsewhere? I’ve tried 6 different doctors for her in the past and have only trusted this one.

Help! My hen is just standing there not feeling well and I am kinda freaking out inside.

Is she pooping?

I'd make water and mushy feed available for her during waking hours.

I agree, it sounds like you have done all you can for her. Follow the Vet's instructions.

Even with implants, medication and supportive care, a hen that is suffering from reproductive problems will eventually succumb to the condition that ails her. None of these are cures, they are just measures that are taken to attempt to make the hen more comfortable for a while longer.

I'm very sorry she's having troubles and it's heartbreaking to see a much loved hen in pain. Sometimes they can bounce back for a little while longer, but eventually they do decline once again.

Is she pooping?

I'd make water and mushy feed available for her during waking hours.

I agree, it sounds like you have done all you can for her. Follow the Vet's instructions.

Even with implants, medication and supportive care, a hen that is suffering from reproductive problems will eventually succumb to the condition that ails her. None of these are cures, they are just measures that are taken to attempt to make the hen more comfortable for a while longer.

I'm very sorry she's having troubles and it's heartbreaking to see a much loved hen in pain. Sometimes they can bounce back for a little while longer, but eventually they do decline once again.
Thank you for you heartfelt reply. Mushy food being pellets mixed with liquid?

Please pray for her. Any other advice?

Thank you for you heartfelt reply. Mushy food being pellets mixed with liquid?

Please pray for her. Any other advice?
Soak a small amount of her pellets in water for 30 minutes or more, they will absorb the liquid. Add more water as needed to get them to the consistency of oatmeal or even a little soupier, you'll have to play with the consistency to see what interests her.

:hugsI will pray for you, that God will bring you peace no matter what the outcome. I will also pray for your sweet hen.

@wyrop rock there doesn’t appear to be stool anymore, just liquid white which I’m assuming is urates only? nothing brown or green. Or do you suspect this is diarrhea?
Prepare yourself for her passing and try not to show her your pain and dispair, but stay calm and reassuring so you will not make it stressful or difficult for her to let go.

:hugs

How is she?
She may be declining further.
@Wyorp Rock She is sluggish. Her crop was still squishy this morning (since Tuesday). I offered her feed mash, egg, tuna, meal worms this morning before her medications. She ate a few meal worms and some tuna, very little- maybe a teaspoon total- no interest in the egg. I gave her 200mg of clavamox and 200mg of fluconazole. I then let her outside with her sisters. She just stood there for a while so I set her by her water and she drank some then I gave her a couple drops of nutridrench on the side of her beak- she flicked most of it back at me as usual. She isn’t talkative like she usually is, since Tuesday in fact. She seems exhausted and almost has a mad look on her face, but I know she’s not mad, but likely tired. Normally she has a sweet innocent look on her face.
I am a mess, I’m exhausted, I can’t sleep thru the night. It’s too hot to let he be outside in her condition after 10:30/11am it’s already approaching 100 degrees so I bring her in to her pop-up run, and then at 7:30/8 I let her go to roost with her sisters in the cage I have set up for them in the laundry room at 78-80 degrees to give them a break from the 110 degrees.
I am accepting that I may be her time, but I don’t want to give up on her.
Should I (torpedo) force feed her, layer feed mash and grit to help with the antibiotic/ diarrhea? Or just let her eat what she will on her own and keep medicating?
Should I stop medicating? We are 3.5 days in to the 7 day treatment with clavamox and and 3.5 days in to 10 days of fluconazole. I have given her some Stoll softner a couple of times too as advised on the impacted crop article on this forum.

When I consider Euathanizing, I don’t think she’s ready to give up yet, and I don’t think I am either, I just need rest. I think, I hope, she’ll let me know when it’s time and if she needs help. In fact I tuned in with her yesterday and got a message to give the meds time to work. But I’m scared because It’s Friday and my vet isn’t open over the weekend so I’m really struggling with that cuz what if she starts suffering over the weekend?
If she’s going to pass, Should I just let her pass on her own here? How do I know what to do? I can’t do this alone and I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice.
The vet seems annoyed by my calling with questions, and didn’t return my call last night so I called this morning again. I’m just a mess, I really need help to make the best decisions for my favorite girl.
She’s standing and somewhat eating just a little bit that crop is a woman’s size handfull of squishy and I massage it but I can’t get it to empty. Why isn’t the vet doing anything to clear the impact ion and instead just giving medications? 😩 😭 😭 😭

Side note: times are really tough, my bf broke up with me on Sunday and is still here yelling one minute and telling me he loves me the next. This isn’t helping. He yells when the hens are inside roosting at night and I know that stress could be effecting them as well. I found a vet tech friend who is willing to foster my hens since my life is up in the air, but she lives 1100 miles away up north and I’m afraid to take my hens to her now in the state they are in, especially since she has a hobby farm and 50 hens of their own. So I’m waiting for my hens to recover to make the move. Is that smart? I don’t want anyone getting more sick or dying due to the stress of moving, and to a new (farm) environment with other birds and new bacteria. Obviously we will quarantine them for a while, but still, I should wait til my hen is feeling better right?

I also have a bantam 2.5 years old (my second favorite hen of course) who is laying either soft or fairy eggs. I’ve been giving her calcium citrate and clavamox for possible oviduct infection (clavamox at the vets advise) she did lay her first “normal egg” or the year after 1.5 days on clavamox but I found both a tiny hard fairy egg and a tiny soft shelled egg under her roost this morning. Yes two eggs from one hen overnight. Is it the heat?

So yes, my two favorite hens (out of 5) are both struggling and so am I. And I have two molting hens right now too. They’ve been test for worms twice and I don’t see lice or mights. I have misters out and a fan since it’s 110 degrees everyday.

A thought just came to mind revolving around the who food conspiracy thing, should I just throw a Hail Mary and give them goat feed and see what happens? I remember people saying they have their hens goat feed and everyone returned to normal and started laying again. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any and all advice is welcome!!! Please be honest, but kind. Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom