HELP!! impacted crop of non eating hen with known reproductive issues (Salpingitis and lash eggs)

The doctor found gram-negative bacteria in her fecal sample and also yeast. So she prescribed Clavamox 250 twice a day and fluconazole 200 mg once a day. Any opinions or advice? It just seems like she shouldn’t be on antibiotics with an impacted crop due to yeast, because doesn’t that make it worse?

That's some pretty wicked looking poop. I'd say she's definitely struggling with bacterial infection. Don't worry about the antibiotic feeding yeast as fluconazole will kill any yeast that tries to sneak aboard. Keep up with the probiotics as that will maintain healthy microbes as the antibiotic kills bacteria and microbes from the infection.

As the infection is brought under control, any crop issues will resolve. If not, it means the infection is too far along for effective treatment. Sounds like you have a knowledgeable vet.

The doctor found gram-negative bacteria in her fecal sample and also yeast. So she prescribed Clavamox 250 twice a day and fluconazole 200 mg once a day. Any opinions or advice? It just seems like she shouldn’t be on antibiotics with an impacted crop due to yeast, because doesn’t that make it worse?
You're correct. However, I'd follow the vets advice.
You need the antibiotic to take care of the gram negative bacteria which IMO would be of more importance.
The Fluconazole will help offset the spread of the yeast infection.
Once the bacteria is taken care of, then you can take care of the yeast infection even if you've used up all of the Fluconazole.
Epsom Salts will control yeast infections. Also, Acidified Copper Sulfate will wipe it out altogether not only in the crop, but everywhere else internally.
If you need instructions using the Epsom Salts, just let me know.

I started the anti fungal yesterday, but because her crop was full of water waited for today to start the clavamox hoping her crop would be empty this morning and I could feed her so she does ok on the antibiotic. However her crop is still full of water. So if she’s supposed to eat with the antibiotic what do I do?

About 1.5 months ago she was on clavamox and did not do well on it when she didn’t eat with it. She wouldn’t move or open her eyes, didnt even want to stand, so I’m afraid to give her the clavamox without food, but her crop is still squishy and large like a water balloon this morning, help!

Very sorry to read about the progressive decline of your favourite hen. :hugs

I read carefully from the beginning of your thread.

Considering her history, her age, the vet findings,
History- she has lash eggs in march, may, June/July. The doctors in march and may thought they saw a mass in her oviduct via ultrasound. The
with her consistently having produced lash eggs since March and a mass (tumor) in her oviduct, all the different antibiotic treatments she already had and the recent poop picture, I think that she has reached the end of the road and despite all your efforts there will be no improvement, just prolonging her misery.

If she were mine, I would put an end to her suffering.

Last edited:
I agree with what @LaFleche said. I very briefly touched on this in my last post to your thread. With the extent of this hen's disorders, she may be too far along with infection to make a recovery. But since you've gone to the trouble and expense of a vet and procedures, you have nothing to lose by plowing ahead with the antibiotic. Forget the food for now. There's a chance the antibiotic can improve things. Just do it.

With a chicken with serious health issues, I usually give an antibiotic, which is usually a last resort after I've tried everything else, three days. If the chicken hasn't improved, and especially if the chicken is worse, I then euthanize and end it for the both of us.

Thanks for everyone honest feedback. I am hopeful that the medications with help her recover. She went up in the nesting box just now, for the first time since she got the hormone implant in May so I’m not sure what to think of that. I pray that if it is her time, she will pass peacefully. Please send healing prayers her way tho and hope for a fast recovery to full health! I did give her the antibiotic this morning and she willingly ate some scrambled egg with it. I also gave her half a tab of the antifungal (fluconazole 200mg) just to help and will give her the other half tonight. (The dr prescribed 1 tab once a day tho)- which I will do tomorrow. But again her crop was squishy before eating or drinking anything- it feels like water and grit.

Side question: this antibiotic is different from the yellow round tab of clavamox 250 I’ve gotten in the past in the sliver packaging.
This new one is white and says amoxicillin clavunate potassium on the packaging and the packaging is white. Are they different and how so? Is it ok to use on hens as well? I gave her some of the yellow clavamox that I already had on hand for now until you all have a chance to respond about the difference.

(I also have aqua mox arriving today for a different hen who has been laying fairy and/or soft eggs since spring, but i starting her on clavamox that I had on hand a few days ago and she laid a perfect egg after just 3 doses, however I knew I only had 6 days worth of clavamox for her so with the advice of others on this forum I bought the aqua mox to finish her treatment). So I will have aqua mox as another amoxicillin option soon. Any knowledge on this would be helpful if anyone thinks I should use his with either of my hens instead of the clavamox?

Amoxycillin clavunate potassium is the generic form of Clavamox. Here is more information about the antibiotic if you are interested to know.
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/amoxicillin-clavulanic
Up until yesterday she seemed healthy and happy out there pecking around with her sisters. I have been considering her quality of life and just spoke to my hen about it. I am as accepting as I can be of the possibility of her crossing over. It just hard to know if she’s suffering or just uncomfortable and for how long. What if she bounces back tomorrow, you know what I mean? If she is clearly suffering for a while and/ or communicates with me that she needs help passing, I will do what I can for her, (sadly) (I’m very spiritual, not religious, but spiritual and have been trying to communicate and listen to my hens on a soul level
You have fought a hard battle to keep her going, and by your descriptions it sounds like your hen is quite a fighter too. Digestive system issues including crop disorders tend to arise as a symptom of other problems as a bird's earthly days near their end. Our animal companions always tell us when their spirits are ready to leave us when we are attuned to them, and since you are very attuned to your hen, you will know when that time comes. Unti then, keep following the advice of your vet and the medical experts here on BYC. I hope she has a little more quality time to spend with you.

Back
Top Bottom