HELP!! impacted crop of non eating hen with known reproductive issues (Salpingitis and lash eggs)

Blessedwithhens

Songster
Feb 21, 2021
I think My favorite hen, 5.5 years old has an impacted crop.
She hasn’t been eating well on her own for 5-7 days so I started torpedo feeding her a mashed torpedo of (22% protein chick starter, latter baby bird food, chick grit with probiotics, and probiotic powder) about 5 days ago. When I went out to torpedo feed her Yesterday I noticed she was not being active but more standing around, I felt her crop and it was FULL, I haven’t seen her eat on her own (besides treats) for several days so I think it was still what I torpedo fed her the day before. Instead of feeding her I took two teaspoons of coconut oil and mixed in grit, cooked it to harden and torpedo fed that to her instead, I massaged her crop for as long as she would tolerate 5-8 mins and it did not empty. Tried again 10 mins later and it didn’t empty. I gave her some time, went out a little later, still full, massaged her 2-3 more times throughout the rest of the day yesterday. I check right away this morning and it is FULL again like a water balloon. Under her roosting bar is very alarming poop too- see pic. I gave her more coconut oil and grit this morning and massaged her crop for 5-10 mins- it’s not emptying, I will attempt again after I post this.

History- she has lash eggs in march, may, June/July. The doctors in march and may thought they saw a mass in her oviduct via ultrasound. The suggested cat scan and oviduct removal but I declined due to risk vs reward (very risky surgery) and quality of life there after. She did get the deslorelin hormone implant in may. She was treated with trimethoprim sulfa at that time. Then in June/July more lash eggs and she was treated with clavamox (diff vet office), two weeks later another lash egg I took her to yet again a diff vet who took 17 days to get back to me with histopath lab results telling me 17 days later that is was a lash egg and he wanted to put her on trimethoprim sulfa, I told him she hadn’t passed a lash egg in those 17 days so he said just keep her on the probios probiotics then she’s probably healthy from them since she had already been on them for 17 days. So that time around in July she was not given antibiotics for the lash egg.

Here we are today. Day two (possibly more) of impacted crop. Not emptying with coconut oil and grit. Again she didn’t eat any actual hen food that I know of yesterday (except coconut oil, grit, 2 tablespoons of salmon and less than 10 dried meal worms). What’s in her crop is probably mostly what I torpedo fed her 2-3-4 days ago. Her poops have only been like a strand or string of poop if you will for the past couple of weeks which is why I began the torpedo feeding thinking she wasn’t eating enough on her own. And now see the images of her poop today after me trying to home remedy the impacted crop yesterday.

Also it sounds bubbly/ maybe firefly when I message her crop, but it doesn’t Smell sour.

She’s just standing around, not active, and she is drinking water- more than I usually see her drink on her own.
IMG_5146.jpeg

I'm so sorry your favorite hen is having trouble. That is really heartbreaking to deal with. Considering her history of problems and how much you care about her, it's hard to say this but you may want to consider her quality of life and perhaps consider euthanasia .
Thank you for your input. Up until yesterday she seemed healthy and happy out there pecking around with her sisters. I have been considering her quality of life and just spoke to my hen about it. I am as accepting as I can be of the possibility of her crossing over. It just hard to know if she’s suffering or just uncomfortable and for how long. What if she bounces back tomorrow, you know what I mean? If she is clearly suffering for a while and/ or communicates with me that she needs help passing, I will do what I can for her, (sadly) (I’m very spiritual, not religious, but spiritual and have been trying to communicate and listen to my hens on a soul level because I can’t do this on my own and need any help that I can get).

Please and advice, wisdom, knowledge on her medical condition(s) and otherwise is appreciated!!!!!!

Important: I should also mention I read that she doesn’t need as much calcium since she has the hormone implant and isn’t laying eggs anymore so I bought a flock maintainer food with less calcium .7-1.4%. I have it out there for her in addition to the layer pellets as an option and free choice oyster shells, sea shells, their eggshells. I noticed her pecking at the eggs shells 1-2 days ago- not sure if she swollowed them, but there was interest. I don’t want to complicate this more, but perhaps calcium is needed. What I was torpedo feeding her was very low in calcium (chick starter and kaytee baby bird powder).

I just finished reading your first post.
Sounds like this poor bird has had an infection brewing for a really long time.
I doubt this crop issue is going to be fixed with laxatives at this point.

I am sorry.

What did you buy?
Did you buy the pills?
I bough dulcolax gel caps 100mg. I cut it open and put it on the coconut oil and grit and tried to give it to her. Not sure how much she actually got because it’s a mostly clear liquid.

She has an appointment at 2pm today. Thinking maybe have to slit the crop open and remove contents- it feels like a balloon, which to me makes me think it might be fermenting. Doesn’t smell sour tho.

Thank you for your input. Up until yesterday she seemed healthy and happy out there pecking around with her sisters. I have been considering her quality of life and just spoke to my hen about it. I am as accepting as I can be of the possibility of her crossing over. It just hard to know if she’s suffering or just uncomfortable and for how long. What if she bounces back tomorrow, you know what I mean? If she is clearly suffering for a while and/ or communicates with me that she needs help passing, I will do what I can for her, (sadly) (I’m very spiritual, not religious, but spiritual and have been trying to communicate and listen to my hens on a soul level because I can’t do this on my own and need any help that I can get).

Please and advice, wisdom, knowledge on her medical condition(s) and otherwise is appreciated!!!!!!
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom