Worst lash egg ever??

vegjet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
I had what I thought was sour crop in a hen, after about 10 days in the house with yeast treatment, probiotics, and massages the nasty foul smell combined with gurgling subsided. Never stopped eating and drinking and crop was emptying. Was about ready to add her back to the flock when I felt a very hard area just below her vent, felt like a huge egg. Internal palpation was not definite, she was pooping LOTS and it smelled to high heaven. So I started her on warm baths with Epsom salts, belly massages and high calcium supplements , stool softener and camelina oil. Another 5 days went by and she started to go downhill, mass was still there, still pooping. She stopped eating and soon passed away. :( Stumped, I necropsied her and found this, from her vent all the way up. It's very solid and rubbery and was one big ball the length of her entire tract. I broke it up to see what was inside. I was shocked to say the least. Opinions? Was this a "lash" egg or what the heck?? Sure has the looks of a lash egg, it was HUGE and filled her entire little self up. She was a Tractor Supply Sapphire Gem and was just over 2 years old. Her name was Splash and I will miss her. :(
370235005_1037906117457053_6723401146753530861_n.jpg

Sorry for your loss. There are pictures online from poultry sites with similar photos. It is egg yolk peritonitis or coelomitis, where eggs have been laid inside the abdomen, and bacteria, such as E.coli have caused infection. Salpingitis is the cause. The whole abdomen can be filled with the material and cause sudden death eventually. Here is some reading with more pictures:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...eproductive-system/egg-peritonitis-in-poultry

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/178/escherichia-coli-infections

I've lost several to salpingitis. Sometimes they pass some material and you get a clue as to what is going on, but many times they pass nothing and it all just builds up inside like this. When it's small bits, and sometimes egg shaped, they can pass some of it, when it's shaped like the oviduct, they can't pass it. Some of them will live for quite some time, some will pass pretty quickly, regardless of passing any or not. Sometimes if they pass some they will seem to feel better for a time. I've tried just about every antibiotic and combination of antibiotics on some of my cases, and it just doesn't respond well to any treatments I have tried. So I no longer treat when I know that's what is going on. I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs

I've lost several to salpingitis. Sometimes they pass some material and you get a clue as to what is going on, but many times they pass nothing and it all just builds up inside like this. When it's small bits, and sometimes egg shaped, they can pass some of it, when it's shaped like the oviduct, they can't pass it. Some of them will live for quite some time, some will pass pretty quickly, regardless of passing any or not. Sometimes if they pass some they will seem to feel better for a time. I've tried just about every antibiotic and combination of antibiotics on some of my cases, and it just doesn't respond well to any treatments I have tried. So I no longer treat when I know that's what is going on. I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, makes feel a little better, she was not looking too good for a long time, she never did molt, so I thought she was trying to. She ate and drank very well up until the day before she died. Just hope this was viral and not bacterial, all the rest of them seem fine. All the years of having chickens this is my first with salpingitis, as far as I know that is, I did find a lash egg several months ago, just a small piece, s o I have been watching them pretty close, she had me fooled, I actually thought it was another hen, so now I am watching her pretty close too. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom