Lash egg and yolks on the poop tray

arubio92

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
NS, Canada
I have a hen that laid a yolk and a soft shell egg while on the roost at night on the poop tray there was a broken yolk. I was hoping someone laid a shell less egg and they started to eat it. She did well and kept laying normally a couple weeks after that. But now I think she laid the yolk and it could have been broken inside her. A couple days ago she laid another soft shell egg and found another yolk. I saw her vent and there were traces of the yolk. Yesterday, I saw the lash egg material below her spot on the poop tray. I started on amoxicillin today, anything else I should be doing for her? She seems normal

She laid a soft shell egg on the roost, but on the poop tray there was a broken yolk. I was hoping someone laid a shell less egg and they started to eat it. But now I think she laid the yolk and it could have been broken inside her. A couple weeks later she laid another soft shell egg and found another yolk. 2 days later the lash egg material.

I have a hen that laid a yolk and a soft shell egg while on the roost at night on the poop tray there was a broken yolk. I was hoping someone laid a shell less egg and they started to eat it. She did well and kept laying normally a couple weeks after that. But now I think she laid the yolk and it could have been broken inside her. A couple days ago she laid another soft shell egg and found another yolk. I saw her vent and there were traces of the yolk. Yesterday, I saw the lash egg material below her spot on the poop tray. I started on amoxicillin today, anything else I should be doing for her? She seems normal
It's good that she's still acting normal.
Do you notice a discharge or leaking from the vent?

Starting the Amoxicillin may help with infection and inflammation from the Salpingitis (Lash). Dose for Amoxicillin is 57mg per pound of weight give 2X a day for 7-10days.

Hopefully you are ahead of this and the condition is not too advanced. A lot of times hens can live for a good while with this condition.

She is an orpington hen, so she is probably at least 6 lbs, do I have to give 350 mg twice a day? It seems a lot since that's the dose my 60 lb dog was getting when he got a UTI (that's why I have some antibiotics on hand).

I started her on half the dose, but if she needs more I can increase it. What do you think?

I see no leaking from her vent, but that being said she has a poopy butt once in a while, however it seems to be just normal poop, no smell (like it would be with vent gleet). I just give a trim once in a while around her butt and that helps

Birds metabolize things faster than other animals, so doses per pound are often much higher. Amoxicillin is usually very well tolerated, I would give the higher dose, at 57 mg per pound of body weight, that is what I normally use with no issues.

Birds metabolize things faster than other animals, so doses per pound are often much higher. Amoxicillin is usually very well tolerated, I would give the higher dose, at 57 mg per pound of body weight, that is what I normally use with no issues.
thanks for explaining this, will up the dose tomorrow

she just laid a normal egg today. Is this possible? Was I mistaken and is this not a lash egg?

Attachments

• IMG_20231219_113919466.jpg
    IMG_20231219_113919466.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 35
The picture is blurry when I try to zoom in , but that may be a malformed, and soft, egg shell. Did you push it around and see what it felt like? Papery, rubbery, etc.? Does she have access to oyster shell all the time, for calcium? I would give a calcium citrate +D (citracal or generic equivalent) once a day to see if it improves shell quality and stops the laying of shell less or soft shelled eggs. For the ones you found on boards without any shell, the bird(s) may have eaten it, they will often do that. The amoxicillin will help to prevent infection from any egg material that may have remained inside if she's laying soft shelled or shell less eggs.
It could be a calcium deficiency, it could be a shell gland malfunction. Some kinds of greens (those high in oxalates) can inhibit calcium absorption, if they get too much, and other vitamins (like D) and trace minerals are also important in shell formation, so take a good look at what you feed. It could also just be this bird that isn't absorbing nutrients as well or may be more sensitive to things in the diet. Calcium is the first thing to try to see if it helps.

The picture is blurry when I try to zoom in , but that may be a malformed, and soft, egg shell. Did you push it around and see what it felt like? Papery, rubbery, etc.? Does she have access to oyster shell all the time, for calcium? I would give a calcium citrate +D (citracal or generic equivalent) once a day to see if it improves shell quality and stops the laying of shell less or soft shelled eggs. For the ones you found on boards without any shell, the bird(s) may have eaten it, they will often do that. The amoxicillin will help to prevent infection from any egg material that may have remained inside if she's laying soft shelled or shell less eggs.
It could be a calcium deficiency, it could be a shell gland malfunction. Some kinds of greens (those high in oxalates) can inhibit calcium absorption, if they get too much, and other vitamins (like D) and trace minerals are also important in shell formation, so take a good look at what you feed. It could also just be this bird that isn't absorbing nutrients as well or may be more sensitive to things in the diet. Calcium is the first thing to try to see if it helps.
It feels rubbery, almost like a chicken nugget meat. She has access to oyster shells and I do see her eating it. All the laying hens are pecking at it. I will add the calcium +D vitamin. She was laying normal eggs before the 2 soft shelled ones she laid at the roost, and her shells are usually very hard. They did have a batch of microgreens sprouts (pea) a week ago, so I'm now wondering if that could have throw her balance off temporarily.

If you see more material like that, a clearer picture might be helpful. Usually when you see lash material, they are no longer laying eggs, the infection stops it. It's very hard for me to say from that one picture if it's lash material or soft malformed shell. Sometimes malformed shells can look a lot like lash material too. Hopefully the calcium will help. Do you know how old she is? And did she molt this year?

If you see more material like that, a clearer picture might be helpful. Usually when you see lash material, they are no longer laying eggs, the infection stops it. It's very hard for me to say from that one picture if it's lash material or soft malformed shell. Sometimes malformed shells can look a lot like lash material too. Hopefully the calcium will help. Do you know how old she is? And did she molt this year?
I will try to take another picture. She is 8 months old, so no, there was no molt this year.

Back
Top Bottom