Weird looking egg possibly lash egg

Saltymiso

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
Texas
I have no idea what chicken laid this egg but I’m honestly surprised I didn’t vomit cutting it open
Unlike normal lash eggs you find on internet it was pretty much like a soft shell egg with some shell developing and bacteria got inside before it was even laid
I can tell as it doesn’t look fleshy but more scaley with a shell that is as thick as normal eggs but more rubbery and hollow with greenish grayish yolk on the inside that smelled like rotten egg
I’m really concerned and I was hoping I’d never have to see my chickens lay one of these
I have noticed two chickens that haven’t been laying and acting a bit lethargic but I thought the one was just molting and the other stopped laying because of harsh winter weather
Also highly doubt this huge thing came out of my tiny silkie 😅
I’ve watched a video where this guy gives his chickens apple cider vinegar to treat the infection and she got better and started laying normal again so I’ll be adding that to their water

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
That is a lash egg from salpingitis. Cut it in half if you will and take another picture. ACV will not make her lay eggs. It is not harmful, in small amounts, but I prefer giving clean water in clean waterers. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin can be given in early salpingitis, but by the time you see lash material, it may not be effective. Salpingitis is common in hens over 2, and can lead to coelomitis/egg yolk peritonitis.

That is a lash egg from salpingitis. Cut it in half if you will and take another picture. ACV will not make her lay eggs. It is not harmful, in small amounts, but I prefer giving clean water in clean waterers. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin can be given in early salpingitis, but by the time you see lash material, it may not be effective. Salpingitis is common in hens over 2, and can lead to coelomitis/egg yolk peritonitis.
Did u watch the video where I cut it in half?? It’s in brown words that says link click on the words

Did u watch the video where I cut it in half?? It’s in brown words that says link click on the words
Yes just saw it. Pretty gross indeed. Hard to see the inside,
but it looked to have liquid inside. Sometimes we will see a combination of lash egg and an unusual egg. But the bad odor is probably infection.

Yes just saw it. Pretty gross indeed. Hard to see the inside,
but it looked to have liquid inside. Sometimes we will see a combination of lash egg and an unusual egg. But the bad odor is probably infection.
Yeah I know I didn’t get much of the inside but in person it was pretty hollow still couldn’t tell because I really didnt want to get up close and personal 😅
My legs and stomach were very weak 😂

I'm dealing with salpingitis in a nine month old pullet. She's had a round of amoxicillin, and a few days later laid a MONSTROUS membrane-only egg. I'll be dosing her with calcium for a while, I think.

I'm dealing with salpingitis in a nine month old pullet. She's had a round of amoxicillin, and a few days later laid a MONSTROUS membrane-only egg. I'll be dosing her with calcium for a while, I think.
Yeah I’m definitely going to have to go get some amoxicillin!
The problem is what hen am I going to give it to I’m not sure..
Carefully watching for symptoms
Should I just give it to all the ones that aren’t laying or should I wait for more signs

Yeah I’m definitely going to have to go get some amoxicillin!
The problem is what hen am I going to give it to I’m not sure..
Carefully watching for symptoms
Should I just give it to all the ones that aren’t laying or should I wait for more signs
The lable on this bottle looks like the stuff I bought. HOWEVER!!! THIS IS A SCAM SITE!!! They are using a legitimate business name, address, and phone number, but when I called the number, the woman told me it's a scam, and they are trying to get it taken down.

https://houndstown.us/products/aqua...tm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=3d21f77eecf9

You will need a prescription to get amoxicillin, I'm sorry to say.

Back
Top Bottom