23 ducklings in one clutch?!

Grandma was back right after I finished posting a few minutes ago lol. It looks like all 25 are still with her and I threw some cockatiel seeds out for them and they seem to love it. Grandma got some bread...I know it's not the best for them, but she needs a full belly and to keep up her strength to care for all those little ones. View attachment 3532488
I hate to say this, but that's more than 25.... I just counted at least 31 using markup to mark each one counted.

Edit: I see someone else just saw the same thing as I was counting.

Grandma was back right after I finished posting a few minutes ago lol. It looks like all 25 are still with her and I threw some cockatiel seeds out for them and they seem to love it. Grandma got some bread...I know it's not the best for them, but she needs a full belly and to keep up her strength to care for all those little ones. View attachment 3532488
This is amazing!!! So exciting!
I had a french muscovy go broody in a tipped over 5 gallon bucket once. French muscovies are hard to hatch well typically and she was 12/12! They were xxl eggs to. My male was 19 lbs!

I hate to say this, but that's more than 25.... I just counted at least 31 using markup to mark each one counted.

Edit: I see someone else just saw the same thing as I was counting.
Is markup an automatic counter? I did it by sight and my finger lol. I guess I got it right. But yeah...that's just SO many chicks!! But Mama seems to want them all to herself---That's why she's such a great mother! ❤️

This is amazing!!! So exciting!
I had a french muscovy go broody in a tipped over 5 gallon bucket once. French muscovies are hard to hatch well typically and she was 12/12! They were xxl eggs to. My male was 19 lbs!
A couple of years ago a different wild Muscovy laid about a dozen eggs in a huge planter and for over a month in summertime they still wouldn't hatch but she continued sitting on them even after they began to smell.
I knew none of them were going to hatch and I suspect it was probably due to the intense heat we were having so after a few days when I knew for sure they weren't going to hatch and the smell became unbearable (it was right outside my back door), I tossed them all into the pond. :(

Is markup an automatic counter? I did it by sight and my finger lol. I guess I got it right. But yeah...that's just SO many chicks!! But Mama seems to want them all to herself---That's why she's such a great mother! ❤️
Oh nothing that fancy. I just saved the photo to my phone camera roll and used the “markup” feature to make a little marker line on them as I counted.

I used to think like that
Key word was 'HOPEFULLY'
You don't need to lecture me on the reality of bird keeping, and my flock is not a buffet for predators.
They found a way to eat before I was keeping ducks, and they can continue on that way, or they can answer to The Shepherd.

Attachments

• 20201102_154817.jpg
    20201102_154817.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 13
Key word was 'HOPEFULLY'
You don't need to lecture me on the reality of bird keeping, and my flock is not a buffet for predators.
They found a way to eat before I was keeping ducks, and they can continue on that way, or they can answer to The Shepherd.
I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing. I apologize if it came across that way. I guess if these ducks were personally mine I would feel differently and same as you, but they are wild so I don't really have any personal attachment to them.

Do the right thing and find them homes, lol
If all of them survive i'm praying that they will move on to someplace else and not stick around here. So I need to be careful with how much I feed them and not let them think this is their home. These Muscovies are everywhere in FL so I doubt anyone would want to take them in. My HOA thinks they're pests lol.

If all of them survive i'm praying that they will move on to someplace else and not stick around here. So I need to be careful with how much I feed them and not let them think this is their home. These Muscovies are everywhere in FL so I doubt anyone would want to take them in. My HOA thinks they're pests lol.
It's difficult when a non-native species becomes established like that. It isn't the animal's fault after all. I respect what you're saying and understand where you're coming from.

Back
Top Bottom