23 ducklings in one clutch?!

That's funny! But 25 is still so many so i'm hoping at some point she allows the other Mama to help her out. She was dozing off earlier in the sun today while the 25 ducklings were all scattered about her so she's going to need help or they're going to get picked off quickly.
Can you separate them? If you have two nesting sites available, try removing Grandma and letting the other Mama's babies run to her. Once they divide themselves up naturally, you can contain each family separately. It may only take a few days/nights of "enhanced division" before they start doing it themselves. Ducklings can be quite persistent once they've decided where they belong!

It's difficult when a non-native species becomes established like that. It isn't the animal's fault after all. I respect what you're saying and understand where you're coming from.
I did a search and learned that they were originally from South America and either migrated here or were brought here by people as pets and are considered an invasive species here in FL. I had no idea! ---

"Muscovy ducks can be found in high densities in Florida. Muscovies found here are often a result of illegal release, often for ornamental purposes or as escaped pets.

There are some strict laws in Florida surrounding Muscovy ducks. While it is legal to own Muscovies, it is a federal crime to release them into any wild space."

So basically, if these 31 ducklings decide to make my backyard area their home, I couldn't take them and relocate them somewhere else in the wild. I can however shoot them to be rid of them lol....but of course I would never ever do such a thing! But I do find it odd that you can't relocate them to somewhere else but you're allowed to snuff their lives out. Strange law.

Can you separate them? If you have two nesting sites available, try removing Grandma and letting the other Mama's babies run to her. Once they divide themselves up naturally, you can contain each family separately. It may only take a few days/nights of "enhanced division" before they start doing it themselves. Ducklings can be quite persistent once they've decided where they belong!
I have no idea where their nest is. It's a very big pond here with a very large public park right next to it, so they could be anywhere out there. When the sun goes down I see them cross the water, so I suspect they're going to the park on the other side.

I do know how to make them feel unwelcome though. Some may recall last month when I witnessed a drake kill the king drake in the pond and ever since then I have been shooing away the killer and now he's terrified of me and doesn't come around anymore.

I've learned they're scared of brooms lol. So when the killer would come i'd wave the long broom at him and he would take off in fear of his life! 😂

I did a search and learned that they were originally from South America and either migrated here or were brought here by people as pets and are considered an invasive species here in FL. I had no idea! ---

"Muscovy ducks can be found in high densities in Florida. Muscovies found here are often a result of illegal release, often for ornamental purposes or as escaped pets.

There are some strict laws in Florida surrounding Muscovy ducks. While it is legal to own Muscovies, it is a federal crime to release them into any wild space."

So basically, if these 31 ducklings decide to make my backyard area their home, I couldn't take them and relocate them somewhere else in the wild. I can however shoot them to be rid of them lol....but of course I would never ever do such a thing! But I do find it odd that you can't relocate them to somewhere else but you're allowed to snuff their lives out. Strange law.
Florida has very strange laws concerning animals. It's in a very precarious place, being hospitable to so many non-native species that are kept as pets/livestock elsewhere in your country.

I guess if these ducks were personally mine I would feel differently and same as you, but they are wild so I don't really have any personal attachment to them.
I get it!
Sorry that I didn't understand that these were feral ducks at the beginning of the thread.
Kinda surprised that the HOA hasn't contacted Fish and Game. Of course, I'd rather that they didn't.
After all, the feral pythons have to eat something? (JK!)

The other Mama is sticking close by but whenever she gets too close to the kids Grandma lowers her head and charges at her. Poor thing. I feel bad for her.
IMG_20230607_170108781_HDR.jpg

I get it!
Sorry that I didn't understand that these were feral ducks at the beginning of the thread.
Kinda surprised that the HOA hasn't contacted Fish and Game. Of course, I'd rather that they didn't.
After all, the feral pythons have to eat something? (JK!)
There are snapping turtles in the pond that I suspect pick them off sometimes too. I've seen some ducklings jump up and dart away like little speedboats when they get nipped by one.

Did she successfully raise all 15 of them? As good a Mama as she is, I worry that 25 is just too much of an undertaking for her. I haven't seen her this morning yet, but I have seen the other Mama who's still acting broody lowering her head and fanning out her tail. I fed her some scraps and she went on her way...probably back to Grandma and the babies.
Yes she did she is my best mama of all my Muscovy. 25 is an awful lot and if you have snapping turtles you may lose some that way. I use to think I'd love to have a pond but after seeing what snapping turtles can do I have pretty much gotten over that.

Are these your Muscovy?
Not mine personally. They are all feral and live on their own in the wild. I suspect they all head to the park across the pond at night and spend their days waddling all around the pond. When I moved here 11 years ago I just started feeding them and ever since they come over each day.
There are egrets, herons, sandhill cranes, white ibis (I despise those birds because they steal food right out of the ducks mouths!), turtles, and even an otter lol. It's a whole wild menagerie out back and I love it----it's my own little paradise. :)

Back
Top Bottom