1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

23 weeks. Still not laying. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Nov 12, 2009.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are the ungrateful little wretches enjoying their fresh dandelion greens this morning. Clearly not thinking any eggy thoughts...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    RIR 34 weeks first egg today. BLRW 26 weeks no chance for some time to come

patience

3. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I have two red stars that have both been laying for a while.

I have two EE's that aren't doing bupkis yet. One has had a red comb for a while and they both seem to have widening bum's.

I have one black australorp that isn't widening, and isn't laying. "She" is still not crowing so I have been told not to give up hope.

They are just over 25 weeks.

Oy!

4. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    My girls started laying just after 24 weeks. I was getting impatient as well and started them on a higher protein. Within a week they started laying and we have been getting 4 eggs daily from 5 hens.

5. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    My 2 oldest RIRs are 7 months (I guess about 29-30 weeks) and one has just started laying this week. The other hasn't. I have two 6 month olds (RIR and Black Australorp) not laying either. Be patient. The eggs will come. It's what chickens do, so it WILL happen. Don't give up!

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have an araucana and a salmon favorelle that are 27 weeks and not laying yet....seems they are taking their time growing up.

7. 1birdlady

1birdlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    We have 4 Barred Rocks...3 are laying, and have been for months .
    The 4th is rather stunted in growth, with small comb and wattle, and yellow legs.

She's 7 mos old.......hmmm? Y'all think she might be a late bloomer?

8. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I have 3 silkies and 5 mixed Cochin & D'Uccles.I know they are girls, because I saw the little rooster Umm-- "courting" them. They are 30 weeks old, and I get between 2 and 4 eggs a day. One girl is broody. That means 3 are slacking.

9. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    31 weeks...no eggs. I have an Australorp and a cochin bantam. Nothing. My duck started laying....to my surprise, but the chickens...nothing!!!!
    [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have some 7 month old ameraucanas that haven't started laying yet.

I'm trying to be patient. My 9 month old GC Maran didn't start laying until two weeks ago... but her eggs ARE HUGE and DARK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by