24 hours since internal pip... no external pip

Oh wow.. umm, he needs moisture ASAP. But it has to be done right!!! you can NOT just pull it out of the shell etc. I would though put a damp paper towel on that shell now but leave an opoening for the chick to breath. Its drying out in the shell.. I will try to find the link to a great thread on when and how to help a chick hatching.

You shouldn't. Damp paper towels suck heat out of the chick (doesn't matter if it's the same temp. Water sucks heat like no-one's business) and can chill the chick. One tip I have come across a few times is painting the shrink-wrapped exposed bits of membrane with oil so that it loosens up and the chick can move some.

Don't spray water, either. That's actually a technique used to dehydrate goose eggs.

Okay I’ve followed the directions and dampened his membrane with water and q tips. How does he look?
CACED2E2-95E7-4AD0-B07B-72AB1D49A60C.jpeg

I’m not experienced with helping chicks hatch but I have had to do it a few times.
Did the chick break the shell itself or did you help?
I would recommend damp paper towel too as the membrane should be nice and moist! Don’t peel the chick out of the shell as from experience it ends badly
I’ve just now made that big hole, not him. I made his membrane wet and put him back and I’ll repeat when it drys again :)

I’ve just now made that big hole, not him. I made his membrane wet and put him back and I’ll repeat when it drys again :)

That "big hole" you are making is the wrong thing to be doing... Please just go read ALL of that article and leave the chick alone until you are positive you know what you are doing!

Okay the membrane has already dried lol. I’m going to be here all day
That "big hole" you are making is the wrong thing to be doing... Please just go read ALL of that article and leave the chick alone until you are positive you know what you are doing!
Im not doing anything right now except wetting the membrane with water and a tips like the link told me to do! I made that big hole as the first thing I did.. sorry if it was the wrong thing to do but how would I have known what bad shape the membrane was in if I didn’t? Thanks for the help :)

Okay the membrane has already dried lol. I’m going to be here all day

Im not doing anything right now except wetting the membrane with water and a tips like the link told me to do! I made that big hole as the first thing I did.. sorry if it was the wrong thing to do but how would I have known what bad shape the membrane was in if I didn’t? Thanks for the help :)

Friend you did the best you could with what you knew at the time :) I just didn't want you to keep taking it in and out :) . Its membrane is moist now and although some may disagree about the wet towel, it works for me when we have a problem. Either way I hope that the chick makes it. If he/she is still peeping and chirping then there is hope. Let us know how things work out.

Thanks for the help guys I’m going to keep wetting his membrane until he’s ready to come out :) I hope he chooses to get out himself!!

Okay he’s doing fine right now, but his membrane is turning yellow. I’m still using a tips and water and every time the q tip comes back yellow, almost kind of greenish. Has anyone else had this? Did he poop or something? Or is it just his membrane drying and turning yellow?

Back
Top Bottom