24 nine-day-old chicks from assortment! (Lots of images, might be a long load)

These are all my chicks from a McMurray 'rarest of rare' assortment (technically their 'ornamental layer' sexed assortment, but I don't think I got any crested birds, and the rest are from the RoR). I have my suspicions about their breeds, but I'm new to this... so please, let me know what you think!

Any help is appreciated. Feel free to skip around and only guess for a few.

(Also, since I'm new, please let me know if I'm handing them incorrectly or if there seems to be anything wrong with them.)

Thanks!

Possible RoR assortment breeds:

#1 ^ EE

#2 ^ - (zeely: Ancona/Lakenvelder?) Could also be a Spanish or Sumatra

#3 ^ - (zeely: Ancona/Lakenvelder?) Could also be a Spanish or Sumatra

#4 ^ Cochin

#5 ^ I'm guessing Dom on this one even though the barring seems to be coming in very odd. It looks like this chick has a rosecomb.

#6 ^ EE

#7 ^ EE

#8 ^ - Partridge Cochin? Cochin

#9 ^ - Black Cochin? Cochin

#10 ^ EE

#11 ^ - Buff Cochin (don't suppose any of these feather-footed white chicks could be faverolles?) Cochin

#12 ^ EE

#13 ^ - Buff Cochin? Cochin

#14 ^ - Also Buff Cochin? Cochin

#15 ^ EE

#16 ^ EE

#17 ^ EE

#18 ^ EE

#19 ^ - Maybe a faverolle?! I really want one. xD I know, it's a stretch. Cochin

#20 ^ - How many buff cochins am I going to have, exactly?! Cochin

#21 ^ EE

#22 ^ - Oh, pretty dark legs! EE

#23 ^ - (zeely: Dark Brahma) Cochin

#24 ^ Could be a WLR Cornish but would need to see the stance and comb, could also be a Phoenix or an EE

On the ones that I've guessed "Cochin" on, some of those could be Brahmas but it's really difficult to tell without knowing what kind of comb they have. I guessed EE on a lot of them because all of those appear to have beards/muffs coming in. That's the only non-crested, non-feather legged breed on the list that has a beard/muffs.

Wow that's quite the batch! I agree with most of your guesses, save one or two.

#23 is a partridge cochin
#12 and 21 could be silver pencilled rocks

As for the ones you are hoping are faverolles, check their feet. Faverolles have cute little pair of extra toes; and even hatchery quality ones should have this on at least one foot. Another thing to look for is a muff on them, although this is harder to find on hatchery birds ( I had to slick back the fluff on my breeder quality fav chicks, to get it out of their little eyes.)

If you really want quality favs, come over to the Faverolles thread in the breed section of the forum. They're a really nice group of people, and someone there can hook you up with nice favs. That's how I got mine!

Thanks so much for all the great guesses! I know EEs aren't super special, but I'm really excited about the pretty eggs.
smile.png

So 5 years later, I get the same assortment, so this thread has been fun to read. It would be "more" fun if Zewlie would post an update as to what the chicks turned out to be (curious minds want to know :pop) I have a chick similar to pic 2 & 3, that I'm hoping/thinking is a White Faced Black Spanish (white tips on wings I think is the difference between WFBS and Sumatra?).

Back
Top Bottom