24 weeks and no eggs?

The hens laid 4 eggs today...The Roo not so much...Haha. He did that outside the coop when we had our BO laying her first egg ever for us. It was weird...I just thought it was a "I'm worried song".
Haha well thats good.
Emily laid her first egg today. Had binding issues, but we made out ok. Thanks for the input. I love this forum.
Yay congragulations!
wee.gif

( I spell that right?)

So, well still nothing eggs, alought when I went out there to take care of them and check for eggs, I found a feather, it was from so it was either Nugget or Kim. Kims been making some funny noise today and when I went there I was shocked by how much her woddle and stuff had grown... Overnight!
I went out to film the noises she was making to post them here but my cameras dead, so I'm waiting for it to charge and I'll have a video of them up.

(woah 70 replys)

Last edited:
As of a few days ago, all 4 of my babies are laying now! The Easter Egger was the last to hold out and a few days ago we got a gorgeous green egg. They are 25 1/2 weeks old now and I get 4 eggs every day :)

They have changed dramatically. Their combs and wattles are bright red and they just have an air about them. They are mature ladies now. They look so big and act so grown up. They started wandering onto the neighbors farm and I have to spend more time following them around on hawk duty but it's worth it :) I know it's weird to say that but they really have changed. They also all lay together in the same spot in the corner of the hen house. Not in the nesting box where the ceramic egg remains, but together as they live their life...they are a close knit flock :)

As of a few days ago, all 4 of my babies are laying now! The Easter Egger was the last to hold out and a few days ago we got a gorgeous green egg. They are 25 1/2 weeks old now and I get 4 eggs every day :)

They have changed dramatically. Their combs and wattles are bright red and they just have an air about them. They are mature ladies now. They look so big and act so grown up. They started wandering onto the neighbors farm and I have to spend more time following them around on hawk duty but it's worth it :) I know it's weird to say that but they really have changed. They also all lay together in the same spot in the corner of the hen house. Not in the nesting box where the ceramic egg remains, but together as they live their life...they are a close knit flock :)

I know exactly what you mean about them having "an air about them." We have 11 total in our flock, 7 hens that are about 1.5 years, and 4 new girls who are 27 weeks tomorrow. Only one of the new girls is laying, and once she started, she was allowed to hang out with the big girls, like they knew she was a contributing member of the flock.

Man thats one cool egg! Congrats, from what I've heard eastereggers are hard to get laying!

Ok, still no eggs, I'm hoping it's only because the coyotes have been making some noise and spookin' them. Starting to get kind of frustrated, any one know how to get those coyotes to shut up? Or first I guess is it the coyotes causing them to not lay?

Last edited:
I got my first chickens three years ago. They hatched on April 15. It took 28 weeks before they started laying. RIRs and BRs. I have since read (and do believe) that it was because they were spring hatch. As they approach laying age, the days are getting shorter, and so it takes them a little longer. Fall hatch chicks, on the other hand, would begin laying as the days get longer in the spring, therefore a few weeks earlier perhaps.

I got my first chickens three years ago. They hatched on April 15. It took 28 weeks before they started laying. RIRs and BRs. I have since read (and do believe) that it was because they were spring hatch. As they approach laying age, the days are getting shorter, and so it takes them a little longer. Fall hatch chicks, on the other hand, would begin laying as the days get longer in the spring, therefore a few weeks earlier perhaps.
My pullets havent laid yet (BLRW) and they were late spring hatched (5/27) and I was pondering the same idea that now its mid Oct. (Maine) less light, and getting coldier that most likely like you believe the pullets first eggs are going to be long awaited. Glad though that I saw your post. Makes me feel better about my flock.
highfive.gif

Oh, yeah well every once in a while I see someone who is all panicked like "MY CHICKENS ARE 20 WEEKS OLD WHY AREN'T THEY LAYING ARE THEY BROKEN OR SOMETHING????"
And I think "uhm..... no?......."
But today some people working on the sprinkler came over and talked to me because they were wondering what a noise was. What noise was Kim, my RIR, who was almost SCREAMING. It was nothing like a crow from a rooster or like the egg song but not like her regular noise either. It was wierd...

Back
Top Bottom