24 weeks old and .................

For the coop, usually 4 sq. ft/bird is sufficient. It is only for the run that people "suggest" 10 sq. ft/bird.

Right, but it sounds like they're in the coop most of the day.

They do range when I am home. On most weekdays they are locked up in the coop and get to be free when someone is home.​

Maybe I should read some chicken recipes to my girls as well!
lau.gif

Quote:
Right, but it sounds like they're in the coop most of the day.

They do range when I am home. On most weekdays they are locked up in the coop and get to be free when someone is home.

Ah, touché.

Kojack, could you clarify how much free range time they get on average? I'm just trying to eliminate likely causes. If they were anything else besides sex links I'd think they just weren't ready yet, and that could still be the case.

Have you noticed if their combs and wattles are red yet or not? If they are they should be laying or at least laying soon. Also have the hens started doing the squat when you or the roo approaches? Not all of mine do that, but it's another good indicator that they'll lay soon if you start to see that behaviour.

most weekdays they get let out at 3pm. and stay out untill they put themselves up. On weekends they get let out at 6 am and stay out all day. (unless they go in on their own)

The combs are quite red,and have been for a couple of weeks with the exception of one who is just now turning red.

I have only noticed that one squats when I reach down to her.

Roo has been doing the sexy dance ( I know its the technical term) but I haven't noticed that any of the girls are squatting for him.

What do you think of them scratching holes in the dirt down by the old water trough and laying down in the hole down there., Is that a good sign?

Last edited:
What do you think of them scratching holes in the dirt down by the old water trough and laying down in the hole down there., Is that a good sign?

That sounds more like dust bathing than nesting behaviour. Since their combs and wattles are red you should be seeing eggs soon.
fl.gif
I'd put some golf balls or plastic eggs in the nest boxes if you haven't done it already....something about another egg in the nest seems to make them think that it would be a good idea to put theirs there too. Hopefully that will help, other than that all I can sugest is to try to see where they're going when you let them out.

Pick a couple with the most developed/red combs and follow them. I have one hen that makes a run for a corner of the barn (full of my husbands junk...mmm I mean stuff) as soon as I let them out in the morning. They get let out a couple of hours later on the weekends and I swear she holds it until she can get to "her" corner.​

kittymomma, I want to go back to the space thing. Am I hurting my girls with the space I have? Should I let them out all day long? even if Im not home to protect them.

Quote:
Oh, this is soooo true! A couple months ago when my neighbors went on vacation for 2 weeks this year and I took care of their chickens, I discovered a deep dirt hole with 9 eggs, WAY under some thick brambles! They were all from the same EE hen; my neighbors told me she was an unreliable layer. She gave herself away to me one afternoon when she suddenly popped out from under those blackberries. For me, there was no way to get under there, except to cover my arms & legs with heavy clothes and creep flat on my stomach, dragging myself along with my elbows. Finally, in the dimly filtered light, I saw the nest way off to my left. I pushed the brambles away and dragged myself over there, reaching into the hole to feel for the eggs. (I made 2 trips to get all the eggs) Based on how old some of those eggs were, she'd been laying there for a long time. Not a broody -- she just preferred Extreme Privacy!
lol.png

Am I hurting my girls with the space I have? Should I let them out all day long? even if Im not home to protect them.

It's hard to say. It's tighter than I'd be comfortable with, BUT you're not seeing any aggresive pecking, feather pulling/eating ect. AND they do get out for part of the day and even more on the weekends.

If you let them free range unsupervised you will lose birds, maybe only once in awhile, maybe most of your flock. It really depends on what the predator situation is where you live.

Mine free range during the day and are locked up at night. I'm home most of the time, but eventually I'm going to lose some birds anyhow. There have been plenty of posts about bold hawks and neighborhood dogs for me to know that is inevitable. I watched a coyote for 10 minutes this morning--never got a clear shot so he's still wandering around in the area.
sad.png
Both my dogs HATE coyotes so while a coyote attack is still a possibility I worry more about hawks and eagles.

Ok, this got really long-winded, sometimes I gett off topic.
roll.png

With the space and number of birds you have you need to be extra vigilent about keeping the coop clean. Disease is more likely then if they had more room. Also continue to watch for the behaviours we've already talked about. If possible give them a secure daytime run--I use a 7x13 dog run with chicken wire zip tied 2' up the sides and running about 1 1/2' out and under for my quarintine coop. If you do start having problems be prepared to reduce your flock
sad.png

You know your birds best, just keep an eye on things. Hopefully all will go well, but be honest with yourself if it's not and take corrective action.​

Thanks Kittymomma, Good words and advice. Thankfully I am vigilante with the coop. I cant stand a coop that smells, so it gets scooped and fresh shavings every couple of weeks. It gets a bit expensive but worth it for the girls and for the fresh air. I am thinking though that they will be almost as safe with me here as without. I don't like the idea of them being cooped up all the time and think they are as likely to be predated with or without someone home.

Back
Top Bottom