24 wk old Barred Rock, poss not laying yet? Smaller/lighter comb too.

limabean

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
I have 4 red sex-links and 2 Plymouth barred rocks. I am consistently getting 4-5 eggs a day. I know 6 chickens does not equal 6 daily eggs, but I have *never* had 6 eggs in one day. I have a hunch that one of the two BR's is not laying - she has a smaller comb and wattle that are lighter in colour than the others. It has recently started getting redder, but nothing like the others.

Could she be not maturing to lay for some reason, or is it normal for one to mature this late?

Obviously these are my first chickens, so I'm learning. Any wisdom appreciated!

I have two Golden Comets in my flock of 9 girls. One of them started laying at 18 1/2 weeks and one started laying at 25 weeks!!! I had no idea there would be that much variation within the same breed, but ultimately, just like human girls, they develop at their own rate.

With the last batch of chickens we had, I had 13. I *think* I only had 13 eggs ONE day in 18 months. Seriously! That seems crazy to me. That said, the one who has a not so red comb/face is probably still not laying. I just got a first egg out of a 25 week old chicken. Patience. Oh, and her face/comb is not all that red. There is hope!

Last edited:
Thanks, good to hear! Really, I'm pretty happy with the number of eggs I'm getting, just wanting to know what is going on, and wondering if there was something wrong with a slow-to-mature chicken.

I had SUCH a high when I found the first eggs. I imagine if there comes a day that I find six eggs I'll get to relive that high a little!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree. I had quite the high today when out of my three EEs, I had a green, blue and a pale cream. So, they are all laying. Just my month younger wellies are left. The day I find that dark egg (hopefully dark) I think I will be doing cartwheels.

Quote:
Mine too!! I get white, and several shades of brown. can't wait to see what my BCM will lay when she is mature. And hope to get some Americauna's or EE's in the spring for even more color.

my BR girls, I have 3, lay large brown, darkest I get, eggs...NOT every day. My only egg a day girl is my California White....I have 12 girls, only ONCE have I gotten 12 eggs....

They started about 24 weeks, they are 29 now...but not all the same time either....

My Gold Comets, don't lay every day either, and started about 24 weeks.

68634_dsc_0230.jpg

68634_dsc_0245.jpg

Thanks - I see that one of your BR's has a small & light comb and wattle too.

Back
Top Bottom