24days and waiting...need advise

franny

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
I was expecting chicks to hatch at 21 days 4 days ago...I finally took them from the hen and broke into them to see if there was any development. crap! both had chicks in them...one started peeping....but not sure about the other one. i put them back under the hen...what do i do now? Did i totally blow it?! Is it normal for them to go that long before hatching? there was 2 from other chickens...both layed on the same day and put under her at the same time

Sorry, but you probably did blow it. I did that once with an incubated one and the chick didn't make it even though I wrapped it in moist towel to keep it from drying out. It isn't all that abnormal for it take so long. I have heard of it being 23 days in an incubator. But I wish you luck for the rest of them!!

I don't know the answer to your question, but next time it might be easier on you to candle instead of breaking them open, save you some heartache.
hugs.gif

:Dwow thanks for your responses! One chick made it!!!! the other was dead. I think it must have died before i broke into it cause it smelled pretty bad but its a bummer cause it was fully developed.
Here is the kicker...about a week or so ago my 4 yr old took the eggs and put them into the frig. He said "mommy look I found all these eggs Im putting them in frig". Ok so, it dawned on me about an hour later so i put them back under the hen thinking they wouldnt make it. Im so thrilled to have the one!!! Im proud of my(bald) frizzle too!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom