Can I move my less developed eggs into incubator? URGENT

MCchickies

Chirping
May 27, 2022
I am in a little of a pickle… My hen has gone broody and has been laying on eggs for 17 days now. There are 3 eggs that are on day 17 expected to hatch on January 13th (21 days). There are also 3+ eggs that are developing but probably on day 7-10.

This happened because my other hen has been laying in broody mamas nesting box (she is now separated)

I’m worried if the 3 eggs expected to hatch on January 13th will interfere with the less developed eggs and mom might kick them out of the nest… should I put the less developed eggs (day 7-10 eggs) in the incubator?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! This is my first time hatching chicks 🐣

I am in a little of a pickle… My hen has gone broody and has been laying on eggs for 17 days now. There are 3 eggs that are on day 17 expected to hatch on January 13th (21 days). There are also 3+ eggs that are developing but probably on day 7-10.

This happened because my other hen has been laying in broody mamas nesting box (she is now separated)

I’m worried if the 3 eggs expected to hatch on January 13th will interfere with the less developed eggs and mom might kick them out of the nest… should I put the less developed eggs (day 7-10 eggs) in the incubator?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! This is my first time hatching chicks 🐣
Yes, it would be good to put the less developed eggs in the incubator.

Definitely! I've done that with a staggered hatch.
Thank you so much! I was skeptical. Someone I know told me to put the chicks due January 13th right in the incubator when they pip to dry off, but i wasn’t too sure I’d want to take chicks from mom

Thank you so much! I was skeptical. Someone I know told me to put the chicks due January 13th right in the incubator when they pip to dry off, but i wasn’t too sure I’d want to take chicks from mom
Moving the early eggs into the incubator is also an option, but I would do it before they start pipping or hatching. That way the chicks and the hen will not be as upset, and the hen is more likely to keep sitting on the later eggs.

A hen will not stay broody forever. If you take the early eggs, she will need to sit longer to hatch the late ones. She might or might not do that.

Either way, you will have one set of chicks to raise (or persuade the hen that she can raise babies of different ages: some hens will do that, but many will not, and the younger chicks tend to suffer because they can't keep up as well.)

If the late eggs were laid on different days from each other, they will not all hatch on the same day either-- probably easier to manage in an incubator than under a hen, because the hen will get off to lead the first one to food and let the others get cold, while an incubator will continue to keep them all warm.

Personally, I would put the later ones in the incubator, then after they hatch I'd put them in a brooder, and when they are running around easily (2 days or so), I would then think about whether the hen might be willing to adopt them. I've had that work sometimes, and not other times, so raising the younger ones entirely in a brooder may be needed.

Moving the early eggs into the incubator is also an option, but I would do it before they start pipping or hatching. That way the chicks and the hen will not be as upset, and the hen is more likely to keep sitting on the later eggs.

A hen will not stay broody forever. If you take the early eggs, she will need to sit longer to hatch the late ones. She might or might not do that.

Either way, you will have one set of chicks to raise (or persuade the hen that she can raise babies of different ages: some hens will do that, but many will not, and the younger chicks tend to suffer because they can't keep up as well.)

If the late eggs were laid on different days from each other, they will not all hatch on the same day either-- probably easier to manage in an incubator than under a hen, because the hen will get off to lead the first one to food and let the others get cold, while an incubator will continue to keep them all warm.

Personally, I would put the later ones in the incubator, then after they hatch I'd put them in a brooder, and when they are running around easily (2 days or so), I would then think about whether the hen might be willing to adopt them. I've had that work sometimes, and not other times, so raising the younger ones entirely in a brooder may be needed.
Thank you so much for the information! This makes me feel a lot more confident in the decision. I would love to raise the later chicks in a brooder for more hands on, but will definitely see if mama will take them in definitely makes thing alot easier!

Back
Top Bottom