25-day-old chicks: when can I put them outside?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
Our weather here is 70s for high and 50s for low this week. The only pen I have with a heat lamp option is occupied by 8 adult birds. I could put them in a wire pen inside this coop so they'd be protected from the others, but these chicks are getting big.

The longer I wait with them in the garage, the cooler it'll be outdoors.

THey're used to 70-75* in garage.

Our weather here is 70s for high and 50s for low this week. The only pen I have with a heat lamp option is occupied by 8 adult birds. I could put them in a wire pen inside this coop so they'd be protected from the others, but these chicks are getting big.

The longer I wait with them in the garage, the cooler it'll be outdoors.

THey're used to 70-75* in garage.
You said "them," so I agree with @sourland, and plus, they have each other. It sounds like you need to build another pen though or add on?

At nearly 4 weeks old, they should be fully feathered. They should be fine in a dry, draft free environment outside.
The pen I ended up putting them (6 chicks) in is wire with metal roof, shielded on all but 3 sides. I did end up hanging a small light for the cooler nights until I see how they do. They'll have to learn to roost. For the last hour, they've just stood together and stared at everything. Poor girls.

You said "them," so I agree with @sourland, and plus, they have each other. It sounds like you need to build another pen though or add on?
The tractor that they'll eventually go to is for larger birds. At their current size, they could sneak out between the ground and the bottom runners. But, yes, soon, the farm will be full! 35 chickens!

Back
Top Bottom