25 free chick's, should we take all 25?

ROOSTERS DO NOT MAKE GOOD PETS!!!!!!!!!!!! And multiple roosters seldom tolerate each other well.

I am betting all or most of those free chicks will be roos. If you aren't good with eating almost all of them then I wouldn't even consider it.

If you are prepared to get rid of any you can't keep, I'd say get all 25... you will have plenty of space in the shed/coop. I raised my batch of 17 in our dog bath for almost 5 weeks, which was too long, but DH was taking a while to finish our coop which we made from scratch, so yours should go faster. I think by four weeks or so you will be glad to get them out as long as you can keep them at the right temperature 24/7.... you should make a protected run for them when they are small, or for when you will be away for the day, but research the "how" here first- chicken wire is fine to keep the chickens in, but not to keep the predators out... good luck and have fun!
Patty N. ;-)

Yes go for it!!
8 weeks ago my local feed store had a similar offer <10 free chicks with 50lb fed purchase>
I took the free chicks and I GOT ALL PULLETS!!
wink.png

they are RIR, white leghorn, Barred rock, buff orp, golden comet and buff brahma. I did not have any idea about breeds, I just picked chicks from different colors.
GOOD LUCK!!!
wink.png

Quote:

okay, here is my shoot from the hip instant answers then.

A. straight run can be a costly venture.

B. if these birds are not 'good for eating' and are all males, you may be zonked big time.

C. FREE RANGING = pets being eaten by predators especially if they are white chickens in Michigan. if they free range, make sure you keep them locked up for a few weeks after laying begins so they know where eggs belong. if they are pullets anyway.

D. most likely from Zeeland, Michigan.

chickens can be VERY expensive pets in the long run. nothing tastes so good as that first egg that cost $1000. yep. $1000.

where in Michigan, if i may ask? we are in Lapeer.

Quote:
this is a misnomer by far. two roosters do not always do well, three or more will establish a peck order and large numbers of cockerels will do quite well actually. most meat birds are male and are housed in the hundreds.

i have more than five roos that are allowed to move between mixed pens and they co exist with minimal problems. it all comes down to the individual birds in the end.

don't tell Abe Froman roo's don't make good pets! he's Elizabeth's best friend!
lol.png
(and we did raise him from a chick)
12425_hpim2031.jpg

12425_hpim2033.jpg

he'll give ya the stink eye if you tell him he's a sassy boy!
12425_hpim2025.jpg

edited to ad the pics

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, go for it. Lots of chicken soup and fried chicken in the future!! LOL.
I don't hesitate to add chickens here as I'm always willing to do the deed for a dinner on a table. If they are all roos are you ready to handle that or would you all be too attached to either sell or process the roos? If you aren't intimidated by the prospects of all roos then if some turn out to be hens and produce eggs you will do fine! I turn off the heat when the chicks are big enough to find the small shelter where they can share heat. For us here in Central California, that is 3-4 weeks of age this time of year. My latest chicks haven't all feathered out but are over 4 weeks old. They haven't had a heat lamp for the last 2 weeks as it was too warm to add heat. They keep each other warm in their box when necessary. Most of them stay outside for the air.

If all you want is a couple of hens you might do better to get sexed chicks. My Pet Chicken will sell as few as 3. So will a hatchery or two although you may get some *packing peanut* roos for the warmth factor.
Decide which way you want to go and jump in! You will most probably never look back.

In general mills do this to sell feed. LOTS of feed. Going to be a lot of scrawny roo's generally and it WILL take a lot of feed. Personally I would not touch em with a 10 foot pole.

I'm a newbie here, but it seems to me that the actual cost of the chicks is the least of the expense.

And, at the same time, the breeds are SO much fun and so amazing. If you're going to do chickens, and of course I think you should!, I would cough up the $100 and get a variety. Most hatcheries seems to offer variety packs -- in your shoes thats what I would do.

$29 for 25 chicks AND 100 pounds of chick starter ... that is an amazing deal

scoop them up --- pick out the ones you want -- give the rest away to whoever wants them --- if no one wants them -- pick out the roo's you want to keep --- raise the rest for meat

We're north of Harrison a few miles.

Well, this "Free" deal starts at 10am tomorrow, and is limited to 1st come 1st served ( limited quanities ), and is good for tomorrow only. I knew chicks run $2+ each, so thinking we would get $50+ free chicks for $30 in feed seemed like a great way to start. Thinking now, maybe not.

I'll have to think about it tonight.

Thanx for everyone help.

Back
Top Bottom