25 week old splash silkie....boy or girl??

soler

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
My first time with silkies, and i still can't tell what i have at 25 weeks.

About 1.5 weeks back, the comb suddenly started bigger, little wattles are growing in, and there is a tinge of pink/red....i thought it was a she, now i am not so sure anymore!

front:

side:

back of the head:

full body shot with the grey silkie:

this is what she/he looked like at 21 weeks - comb was WAY smaller

I think girl! Maybe she's just an early bloomer? No streamers. Nothing telling me male other than the comb..
What is her behaviour like?
well, i have actually seen some of the roosters mating with her a couple of weeks back, but i read somewhere sometimes that can happen even if it's a cockerel. Her comb was small and darker just two weeks ago...! She hangs out with the other two silkies, which i think are girls, but need to post pics up to be sure, and they go and scratch around. No fighting, no chest bumping, no crowing. She is really soft all over.

I hope you are both right because i have a hard time getting rid of the roosters and i have a few already!

Looks like a pullet.
If she was 15 weeks I would think cockerel, but because she is so old she's definitely a pullet.
Gorgeous, by the way. Where did you get her?

Looks like a pullet.
If she was 15 weeks I would think cockerel, but because she is so old she's definitely a pullet.
Gorgeous, by the way. Where did you get her?
thank you! i got her locally - a lady that breeds them sells them through a local guy that both breeds some birds and offers hatchery stock in Long Island. He's on Facebook, if you search for Long Island Poultry.

Based on the very first pic that is posted I would say that bird is a male. Is the very last picture the same bird as the first. Because based on that pic I'd say you have a female.

I have a silkie that is about 5 mos and for quite a while I thought it was a female. And now I am leaning more towards a male on mine because of the pronounced comb and wattles. Mine at 5mos has yet to start crowing yet. Probably because of all my other male birds he feels he doesn't need to start crowing yet.

In the last photo she/he was 5 months, in the top photos she is 6 months old and has developed wattles/comb/color in the las 1.5-2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom