250 watt heat lamp to close or to far

Where are your chicks being kept? What are you using for a brooder? Do they have room to get out from under that heat if they want? There are a lot of factors that determine the size of the lamp you use.

Until this year I used a heat lamp in the coop with my chicks. This year I tried a MHP (Mama Heating Pad) brooder. It's great! The chicks can go in and out of the heat as they need, and you don't have to worry about a heat lamp over heating them. Maybe something for you to consider for future reference.

Where are your chicks being kept? What are you using for a brooder? Do they have room to get out from under that heat if they want? There are a lot of factors that determine the size of the lamp you use.

Until this year I used a heat lamp in the coop with my chicks. This year I tried a MHP (Mama Heating Pad) brooder. It's great! The chicks can go in and out of the heat as they need, and you don't have to worry about a heat lamp over heating them. Maybe something for you to consider for future reference.
How close did you have heat lamp ?Was it 250watts?you said in co-op so chicks could move away from heat and I'm sure there was airflow.
He has 250watt bulb less than 2feet away in a 3ft. X 3ft box .I'm telling you he is cooking them.

I use the MHP with my ducklings and it works great and I never have to worry about adjusting the height. They come and go as they need heat like they would in nature.

How close did you have heat lamp ?Was it 250watts?you said in co-op so chicks could move away from heat and I'm sure there was airflow.
He has 250watt bulb less than 2feet away in a 3ft. X 3ft box .I'm telling you he is cooking them.
I missed the post where it says the lamp is less than 2 feet away and a 3' x 3' box... If that is the case, then yes - it is too close and they will cook.

My issue with the heat lamp wasn't so much that it scared me, but I didn't feel I could just hang it in one place and have the control I wanted over the temperature. I brooded chicks in my coop in the end of March with a heat lamp and brooder box. (Specially built by my DH). I was constantly raising and lowering the thing, depending on the temperatures outside. It got down to 28* one night and I was worried that they'd pile under it, so I lowered it enough to melt the plastic frame of the thermometer! (The chicks were fine.) But during the day when it got to 65*, I'd raise it "just to be sure" they could get out of the heat. I love the MHP, because I don't have to worry about it. They are in a 4' x 8' section of coop - no brooder to speak of. I actually have 2 MHPs, a waterer and feeder in there and they still have plenty of room to roam. It's a great setup!

Back
Top Bottom