26 Australop chicks arrived, and doing well, but is the bottom photo a Rooster?

I ordered 25 Australorps from McMurray and another order of Red Star. They throw in a special "Rare" chick as a bonus. Yours (the bottom photo) looks like a Silver or Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte.

I ended up with a solid brown chick that I am still trying to identify. Thats half the fun of ordering from McMurray, which I am a 100% happy customer of. Both orders arrived timely and all healthy. The brown chick is a week older than the Red Stars from the 2nd order. She/He has been very protective of them, keeping the Asutralorps away from the younger chicks. May make a good mother.

Diff breed. Most hatcheries throw in an extra chick when you order chicks. Might be a brown leghorn. It's hard to tell. Maybe a welsummer. Time will tell

Wow, all these different breed of chicks you all mentioned all look like mine, lol. I just went to feathersite.com , and I can't tell really, lol. Like y'all said, time will tell, and definately going to keep it.
Thank You All for sure! :)

That seems to look like a different breed, I would wait until he gets his feathers to really judge. If he starts to develop a more red comb or taller comb, it could very well be a rooster(note:this does not work for large comb breeds like leghorns). You can't base the gender of the chicken off its color as a chick, unless it is a sex-link. I believe you get a free chick when you order your chickens from Mcmurray, so I will look at your reciept and see if you recieved a free chick. If you know how or know someone who can sex chicks, ask them. It still looks young enough to sex it easily.

Hope that helps,
Half A Chance Farm
halfachancefarm.weebly.com

Last edited:
No feathered legs or feet . It's wing tips don't look like the others, they are more straight, and supposebly a hen will have a layered type wing tip correct? Ill try and call mcmurray and see if I got a bonus chick, lol. I bet I did. Ill let y'all know .
Thanks.

I got several chicks this year from TSC and one breed I got is the silver laced wyandotte... your bottom picture looks
just like my chicks do....only maybe you have the golden laced wyandotte.so I think that it might be the same breed....beautiful as adults too!
check Murray McMurrays on line catalog under the baby chicks and bet you can identify..
I ordered many last year from McMurray and was very happy with my babies....hope you enjoy yours.

P.S. just looked at the catalog myself and think 'wyandotte breed' is right but think now more toward the 'Blue laced red wyandotte' might be the one...check it out
for yourself..

Last edited:
My 6 australorps have varying amounts of white. Two have a lot more, almost tbeir entire heads vs the other 4 which just have white chests and bums.

Back
Top Bottom