26 new meaties

belgie

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
picked them up this morning, dipped each beak into the water and was amassed at how soon they found and were eating and drinking on their own! I am new to the chicken life, so I was worried the brooder would be to small or to hot or cold. From the moment I put them in they are running around, pecking and pooping. I wounder how many times I will be up checking on them today?

welcome-byc.gif

and congrats on your new chicks

Hey! Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new meaties. Is this your first time with chickens/chicks entirely or just to meaties? What kind of bird did you buy? Cornish X?

I was just up checking on the chicks again and they are eating and drinking and walking around a bit most are huddled together but not packed tight so I guess that's ok the temp is up to almost 90. Is that too hot? it is warm outside today, I could lift up the lamp and lower it back down at night. what do you think?

No, that sounds about right. Are they Cornish Cross? I got mine a week ago Tuesday. Temperature seems not to make a lot of difference, they like to pile on each other. You may need to split them up at some point so you don't have any suffocate in a pile up.

I think they are Bonnie Reds the local feed mill gets them in a few times a year. I looked up the hatchery but couldn't find it.......

Back
Top Bottom