26-week old ameraucana not laying

Quote:
I will have to try this! Any recommendations for a good solar light for the coop? We don't have electricity running out there, so I think solar will be the way to go for us!

I have three EE's that are also not laying, but they are about 3 weeks younger than my Ameraucana, so I assumed it would still be awhile for them, too. I am so excited to finally get a pastel egg! Or maybe the word I'm looking for is impatient...
tongue.png

Quote:
I will have to try this! Any recommendations for a good solar light for the coop? We don't have electricity running out there, so I think solar will be the way to go for us!

I have three EE's that are also not laying, but they are about 3 weeks younger than my Ameraucana, so I assumed it would still be awhile for them, too. I am so excited to finally get a pastel egg! Or maybe the word I'm looking for is impatient...
tongue.png

lol, almost drives you crazy waiting for the egg! Not sure about the solar light, good question though. I imagine there are some really terrible brands out there. I think I may have read something on here a short while back. try doing a search.

Yes, it does!!!
wink.png
I feel like I've been waiting forever for these girls to lay!

I think I'll be doing a google search here in a minute for a solar light. I've been hearing from quite a few people that it's necessary if you want your hens to keep laying consistently through the winter. Thanks so much for your help!!

Peke's Poultry :

I have 3 that are 26 weeks and 2 started laying last week.

Are they laying in their nesting boxes? I'm starting to wonder if she is laying somewhere else since they free range all day. I may have to go on a egg hunt now!​

I have an easter egg hunt each day, but fortunately just in the coop! They have laid in the nesting boxes where the other chickens lay, behind the nesting boxes and in the open top of a full bale of wood shavings. I've seen one the them in there go from one spot to another, a bit too shy to try where others are around to come near.

I have a 33 week old Silver Ameraucana and a 31 week old Olive Egger (Marans & Ameraucana) who both are not laying yet. I also have a 32 week old Blue Langshan who is taking her sweet time. Out of 15 chickens, I only have 5 that are laying right now. The other 10 include my constantly broody BA, 3 molting 1 1/2 yr old hens, and 6 pullets with ages ranging from 25 weeks to 33 weeks.

Peke's Poultry :

I have an easter egg hunt each day, but fortunately just in the coop! They have laid in the nesting boxes where the other chickens lay, behind the nesting boxes and in the open top of a full bale of wood shavings. I've seen one the them in there go from one spot to another, a bit too shy to try where others are around to come near.

That is too funny!!! I've been searching the coop up and down every day just in case I had any rogue layers, but so far the only eggs I've found in the coop are in the nesting boxes! Maybe these little ones will take the hint from the older girls when it's time for them to lay!
smile.png

If they may be laying outside, just lock them in the coop till about 3 in the afternoon. Keep it up for a couple days. If you see her crossing her legs and doin the pee pee dance, you know she has a hiding place. If no eggs and no dance, she hasn't started yet. If there are eggs, and she looks guilty and kicks the ground, she has been holding out on you. At that point, place her food in a KFC bucket.

Back
Top Bottom