26 week old Salmon Faverolle not laying yet?

HopeWoo

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
My salmon faverolle is 26 weeks old, and still not laying. I was under the impression that they are a breed that lays earlier? I have ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes. Upping protein… not sure what else to try.

My salmon faverolle is 26 weeks old, and still not laying. I was under the impression that they are a breed that lays earlier? I have ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes. Upping protein… not sure what else to try.
I don’t know if this will mean anything to you or not, but this totally reminds me of something about my Faverolles!
(I had 8 of them for my 1st flock; Oh! - I loved them so much!! They live on another farm with a friend of mine now, since I’ve had to relocate)

However, they HATED those fake eggs…
LOL!😉 I finally learned of this on a whim!!

- They were notorious for not laying in their nesting boxes. They’d lay next to them, under them, on the coop floor, on the floor of the outdoor run!!

- Finally, I just removed the practice eggs. They jumped right in. Started using their nesting boxes right away, from then on… No issues!!

- Did they think another hen was already using those boxes?? 🤷🏻‍♀️hahaa !!!

- I remember they came into lay around week 28, so it should be any day… And, mine laid in the Winter just fine, it was less often, of course, but definitely enough to need to collect eggs often to avoid getting frozen ones!

I hope your lays soon! Mine is 30.5 weeks and still no eggs. She will lay when she is ready.
I’ve read a few times that the later they come into lay, the better condition their overall reproductive system is, and will be throughout their life…

Despite how horrible waiting feels, especially when you’re so excited, I often try to think of this little factoid to cheer me up! — That it could be a positive sign for them to lay later; a sign of healthier reproductive health! 🪺

I’ve bought Hatchery stock chicks in the past: Silked Easter Eggers, Silkies, Jubilee Orpingtons as well as Salmon Faverolles who laid their first Egg much earlier than what was expected and the majority of them ended-up with several reproductive issues, either right away or within their 1st year of laying. — I even had one that never laid eggs at all… (I no longer prefer to purchase from Hatcheries)
🥺 —Very Worrisome; I’ll take a “late-bloomer” any day! Yeah, I’ll likely complain while I wait because I’m just as excited as anyone, but deep-down, I’ll always want them to lay on the later side of what’s expected….

Back
Top Bottom