26 weeks old, still no eggs!

I had EEs that were 32 weeks before they started. BUT - they now are my only Jumbo layers. I think because I had to wait so long, they have treated me to jumbo eggs for my patience! Hang in there. They may not lay until spring, but it'll be worth the wait.

Don't feel bad. I have 16 layers, also 26 weeks old. None of them giving me any eggs yet.
he.gif

I was in the same boat. I got 6 of various breeds (mixed also) and then we got to more. The first batch I think were 12-14 weeks old when we got them and we have had them for 3 months. I think two of them are laying but not sure which ones, have an idea, but not 100% sure. I wish I knew how to identify if the eggs were coming from the same gal or different ones. Some are spotted and others are light brown.

Quote:
The move may have delayed their laying. Sometimes change affects them that way.

Last edited:
Last week I posted, complaining about not getting any eggs, but yesterday Harriet (my RIR) achieved the miracle of laying an egg! (She actually laid one the day before as well, but I forgot to check.) And, she even laid them in the nesting box, just like she was supposed to! The golf balls worked - amazin!

I know chickens are supposed to lay eggs, so I don't know why I now find the whole thing so miraculous! Now if only the EEs would lay some blues ones, life would be perfect!
11677_3030479010_d0287fe88e.jpg

Just got an egg from one of my three youngest RIR girls, finally! They are 28 weeks old (thought they were 30 wks, then consulted a calendar). Out of my 18 pullets in the youngsters' group, 11 are laying. The non-layers range from 24 weeks to 33 weeks. First to lay were the two Barred Rock girls in that group at about 21 weeks or so.

Congratulations, Blooo! And in the box to boot... so impressed!
smile.png

Cynthia, my Barred Rock will be 24 weeks old Monday. Think I'll sit her down and tell her about your girls.
And a question for those whose hens are laying ~ Do the majority of about-to-be-laying chickens do the squat? None of mine even give a little hint of doing this.
sad.png

Carla

Back
Top Bottom