26 weeks old, still no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blooo, Nov 10, 2008.

1. blooo

blooo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    berkeley, ca
    I have 2 EEs, 1 RIR; all are 26 weeks old, but none are laying yet! The RIR has a very red comb and wattles, but the EEs still don't have much in that area.

At about 22 weeks, I moved them to a new coop. They've adjusted well and seem fine. Could the move have delayed their laying? They only free range when I'm around on weekends, so they couldn't be laying their eggs someplace I can't find.

Is it possible they just won't lay at all this winter? Although they are lovely to have around, my purpose in getting them was to have fresh eggs ... my husband is more impatient than me, and is considering eating them. :-(

2. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Sing to them......

3. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    I actually have an EE that is 2-4 weeks older than yours that is not laying. I have Marans, a week or two even older, and no egg either. My others are about the same age as yours, give or take a week. Not one single egg.

Sorry, wish I could give you more good news.

4. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    I wouldn't eat them yet. Our first hens didn't start laying until they were around 6 months old. They were born in the spring. Now that the weather has turned cool and rainy, no one in our coop is laying. They're all molting. I'm hoping for a few eggs this winter, but we're not heating the coop, so they'll just have to adjust.

Two of our hens were purchased this spring--one is 7 months and the other 10. The 7 month old has not laid yet and the 10 month old laid 2 eggs before she went broody. (shhhhhh...we're thinking of selling her)

Hang in there and be sure to post with your first egg picture...or chicken dinner.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    The EE being a cross, can be very unpredictable when it comes to laying. A move can delay laying.

Light and diet are also factors to consider.

6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    My chanteclers were about 30 weeks (unlike 30 months as I mentioned in another thread) before the eggs started coming.

Even though I'm a vegetarian, I often spoke to them about freezer camp and they seemed to take the message t heart.

Wayne

7. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    It's November, and a bad month for getting eggs. At least in my area. Maybe out in California where the tmeps are milder it doesn't make a difference. [​IMG]

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I got some EE that are like 26+ and no eggs either.I got them for the kids for a novelty for the colored eggs.I'm starting to wish I stuck with BR and BA. Will

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My RIR's started laying about 2 months ago, they were 25 weeks. EE's are 23 weeks and nothing.

10. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, no!!! :eek: :eek: These posts are NOT good news.
    I have been not so patiently waiting for our first egg. The girls are 23 weeks today, and overdue if you ask me! They're large hens (BA, BO, BR and a GLW) with red combs and wattles. No squatting, nor any other indicative behavior. Well, sometimes they do seem more crabby with each than at other times. [​IMG] I keep hoping it's a sign of hormones.
    Here in southern California, the days are still warm with lots of sun and they have lots of Layeena with freeranging in the afternoon.
    sigh.
    Dang freeloaders....

Carla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by