27 Week Old Australorp, No Comb!!!

meggybeth

Hatching
Jan 9, 2017
Bethesda, Maryland
Hello!! I've searched these forums for help, but couldn't find anything really.

I have a 27 week old pullet. I have 4 total in my backyard coop...and three of them are doing awesome! Full combs and wattles, 2 have started laying (despite being the middle of winter and freezing temps)...the third showing all the signs she will start laying soon. I'm worried about my Australorp hen. She barely has a comb or wattle. I've attached photos. Her health overall seems good- she eats, drinks, poops etc like the rest of them. She is never too interested in me, and rarely takes snacks from my hands like the other girls. More concerning, she is not showing any signs of laying anytime soon. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions? Advice? Thanks in advance!

Hello!! I've searched these forums for help, but couldn't find anything really.

I have a 27 week old pullet. I have 4 total in my backyard coop...and three of them are doing awesome! Full combs and wattles, 2 have started laying (despite being the middle of winter and freezing temps)...the third showing all the signs she will start laying soon. I'm worried about my Australorp hen. She barely has a comb or wattle. I've attached photos. Her health overall seems good- she eats, drinks, poops etc like the rest of them. She is never too interested in me, and rarely takes snacks from my hands like the other girls. More concerning, she is not showing any signs of laying anytime soon. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions? Advice? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BYC!

What are the breeds of the other 3 you have?

Comparing her to others may be your downfall. She is a large healthy looking girl. She just may be developing at a slower rate.
Her comb, wattles and face are nice and rosy. Keep watch on her, I bet she may start laying soon!

As she gets older her comb and wattles will get bigger.

Yes- I have all different breeds; cream legbar, golden buff and barred rock. I expected they would all start laying at different times and noted that Chick Boss (my australorp) was maturing much slower than the others. I just started to worry that her comb and wattle were so little and started turning so red.

Welcome to BYC!

What are the breeds of the other 3 you have?

Comparing her to others may be your downfall. She is a large healthy looking girl. She just may be developing at a slower rate.
Her comb, wattles and face are nice and rosy. Keep watch on her, I bet she may start laying soon!

As she gets older her comb and wattles will get bigger.

x2.Some of my hens have small combs.

She looks like a beautiful, glossy, healthy bird to me. Some hens just have smaller combs, even after they mature. Others take longer to mature and begin laying, at which point their comb/wattles grow.

Back
Top Bottom