2nd chicken dead or missing

ducklingsweety

Songster
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
parkland washington
hey! one of my chickens was found dead today and less than a week ago my favorite hen went missing! we have no idea whats attacking them but when the one went missing there was no feathers anywhere and when the other died she was just... mauled! in the coop!!! i saw an owl the other day but i dont think an owl can take a full grown orpington hen with out a trace!
HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think it may be racoons

Last edited:
Owls are very strong. An owl lifted my Mother-in-law's dog up in the air and carried it, then dropped it (and the dog died of injuries). It was a small dog.

An owl can take an Orpington. I am sorry for your losses.

I have found an owl inside a coop before- he flew away when I opened the door -he was eating my baby chicks. However, coons will enter coops too. Live traps, electric fencing, overhead welded wire netting in the coop area, all can help to keep racoons away. Owls are federally protected though, so nothing can be done except the netting for the owls.

I buy the heavy knotted netting (think snow load if you hang netting) and support it really well. I have some on order for my large fowl too, since I have a hawk problem and it's the only way it can be solved (they are also protected). My bantams are covered with netting. I have found a hawk in the coop too and he flew away- was eating baby chicks as well.

Last edited:
You also may want to consider a nearby opossum. They have been known to carry a large chicken away. I would invest in a have-a-heart trap to see what you fund.

hugs.gif
Aren't all of them dead now? So sorry!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom