2nd Egg still super exciting!!!!!

The Noodle Farm

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016

I now have 2 out of 3 hens laying:) How often should I check for eggs and can I switch them all to layer feed now? Thanks

...or you could keep feeding starter/grower/whatever and just provide oyster shell in a separate container.

You can check for eggs as often as you want, sometimes a good thing to do when birds first start laying (plus it's hard not to check frequently-haha!) But at least collect all eggs at end of day when you lock up coop for the night.

Last edited:
I got my first egg yesterday. I was heading out and I heard the song. 2 chickens were acting strangely the day before,moving the straw to the corner making a nest.
So I put the nest boxes in the coop.
I was looking for the egg, but didn't see one. She was nervously walking around the coop,so I tried calling her to the nest box,but she wouldn't go in. So I pick her up and put her in the nest box and closed the door.
She stayed in it.
So I stayed outside the coop looking through the window near the nest,I can't see in the nest but I would see her leave.
25 minutes went by and all of a sudden 1 of her sisters rushed into the coop a jumped up on the lower roost in front of the nest boxes and was looking in. Then she hopped onto the perch in front of the box, apparently to comfort or maybe cheer her on.
About 5 minutes later I heard the song and her sister came out of the coop.10 minutes later my girl who I call Boss came out and went to the water and drank like no tomorrow.
She came to me and I said good girl and petted her. So was exhausting for her. Here is a pic of her first,it's the brown one,the white is ceramic. She is the girl on the upper left.GC

I got my first egg yesterday. I was heading out and I heard the song. 2 chickens were acting strangely the day before,moving the straw to the corner making a nest.
So I put the nest boxes in the coop.
I was looking for the egg, but didn't see one. She was nervously walking around the coop,so I tried calling her to the nest box,but she wouldn't go in. So I pick her up and put her in the nest box and closed the door.
She stayed in it.
So I stayed outside the coop looking through the window near the nest,I can't see in the nest but I would see her leave.
25 minutes went by and all of a sudden 1 of her sisters rushed into the coop a jumped up on the lower roost in front of the nest boxes and was looking in. Then she hopped onto the perch in front of the box, apparently to comfort or maybe cheer her on.
About 5 minutes later I heard the song and her sister came out of the coop.10 minutes later my girl who I call Boss came out and went to the water and drank like no tomorrow.
She came to me and I said good girl and petted her. So was exhausting for her. Here is a pic of her first,it's the brown one,the white is ceramic. She is the girl on the upper left.GC

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing!!! So cool...right ;)

Back
Top Bottom