2nd opinion needed - replacing wheat with rice?

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I read someone here feeding their chicken on rice only, so I am thinking of replacing wheat with rice. I do feed them other things as well - corn, cockspur grass, layers pellets, etc. + they are free range.

So will row rice be better for the chicken than wheat?

OK, you might find this useful then
grain nutrient profile.png

And there's feedipedia https://www.feedipedia.org/content/feeds?category=13588

Doesn't Bulgar wheat grow in Bulgaria, I thought that was where it came from, or originated from :idunno
Yes... But nationwide and especially in my region it has been replaced by triticale and triticale is not good for the chicken (from personal experience).
So...the only thing that is better than wheat is oats.. and the next one on the list is corn..
I will have to read about oats. Nobody here gives it to chicken (only horses)

I read someone here feeding their chicken on rice only, so I am thinking of replacing wheat with rice. I do feed them other things as well - corn, cockspur grass, layers pellets, etc. + they are free range.

So will row rice be better for the chicken than wheat?
NOT A CHANCE.

I'm not certain whose post you read, or why you think anonymous internet advice is worth following - but on the chance you are willing to to repeat...

Pound per pound, hard winter wheat has more protein, better fat and fiber, higher levels of Methionine, Lysine, Threonine, and Tryptophan than Rice. Even so, wheat fails to meet the minimum recommended levels of Methionine, Lysine, or Threonine for an adult bird, and is well below the needsa of a growing bird. Rice, of course, is even more deficient, and is still nutritionally superior to corn in almost every way.

Layers pellets are crafted to meet the absolute minimum dietary requirements of production layers during hteir peak production period, after which they are expected to become "repurposed". It is designed with the intent of minimizing costs, and without concern for the bird's long term health (beyond 80 or 90 weeks). Adding corn, rice, and or wheat to the diet only ensures that it is that much more deficient.

Yes... But nationwide and especially in my region it has been replaced by triticale and triticale is not good for the chicken (from personal experience).
So...the only thing that is better than wheat is oats.. and the next one on the list is corn..
You are going things free-range, so I assume the birds are not confined in any way. I use oats, especially during the winter. They are soaked in water for a least 48 hours at temperature less than 20 C. They take up water and become more digestible. Additionally some of the vitamins are activated. Generally I place it out so they can clean it up all within a few minutes leaving room for consumption of other items in adequate amounts.

I wish I new more about what feedstuffs you have locally available and the chickens you are raising. I can get by with little more than scratch grains in my setting with free-ranging chickens, except when it gets very cold or snow covers ground. I cheat and use livestock to create some additional food sources.

Apart from anecdotal expereince, what's the issue with Triticale?

I know its not high protein, and is a very deficient source of Methionine, possibly the worsrt of the common cereal grains, but apart from its nutritional deficiencies, I wasn't aware of any unusual characteristics, such as the high beta-glucan levels in oats and a couple others of the more rarely used cereals.

Yes... But nationwide and especially in my region it has been replaced by triticale ...
Do you have land? Wheat is not hard to grow or harvest in amounts suitable for small numbers of chickens. It won't help for now but could long term.

Sorry, I don't remember if you said how many chickens you have.

Back
Top Bottom