2nd pullet wobbly please help

Buttercup14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
I made another post about 6 weeks ago for one of my pullets going from wobbly/unsteady to toppling over, not being able to stand, not wanting to eat/drink, etc to unfortunately passing away.

Now the 2nd pullet that I got with her is unstable/wobbly on her feet starting two days ago. (I got 2 pullets and a cockerel at a tradeshow- the cockerel is having the cocci type poop) I bought these 3 mid June. They are still separated from my other flock of 6 (who are very healthy and laying).

The only difference since I've had them is I've moved them into this new coop (a converted new shed bought from Home Depot) with the pen on gravel and 1/3 garden dirt. They get out to free range too (the prev pullet didn't as she got sick).

Idk what to do. Or what it is. I don't know if it's mareks? Worms? Etc. I was able to get piperazine dihydrochloride 53 today from feed store.
They have vitamins in water, I've been doing occasional acv, de.

Did you treat them for coccidiosis? If not, I would give them Corid (amprolloium, Amprol, Ampromed) for 5-7 days. Symptoms are sitting or standing puffed up or hunched, lethargy, extreme weakness, poor appetite, and diarrhea which may be mucus or bloody.

Typical Marek's symptoms. NOTHING you can do, no cure, no treatment is successful. AND since it it a virus, do not waste antibiotics. Usually death follows in a short time (sometimes sudden death) and the few who do recover are carriers for life,infecting all your birds and future ones. Still some birds are naturally immune--so hope your other birds are safe. But we do not know this, so only hope our older birds won't show symptoms!! It is carried in the dander and you will have it on your clothing from coop to coop. And it is almost impossible to get the dander from coop floors, walls, feeders--every place the dust lands. Eggs are not infected, so you can hatch Marek's free chicks. However,vaccination, which must be done at hatch, as they will already be infected if in any way are with your other birds, and must be kept isolated for at least 2 weeks to develop immunity, is the only way to have a flock that will not get it in the future. Once you have it, you may ALWAYS have the long lived virus on your premises! AWFUL thing to happen to any one who cares about their poultry!! THe ONLY thing we can be grateful for, is that it is not painful for the birds, who just do not know why they cannot move about. They will eat and drink as long as they can reach food and water, until the neck and throat are paralyzed. Several other forms, tumors in the nerve tissue (may only be diagnosed from necropsy) and blindness are also Marek's infections. Friend sent me a hen carrier about 17 years ago, when I didn't know anything about it, precomputer days. Have vaccinated EVERY chick hatched for 14 years with very good success. Would NEVER purchase a bird that had not been vaccinated. NEVER purchase chicks from a hatchery that were not vaccinated. Having had the virus on my place, I could not sell a bird that was not vaccinated--I care about each and every chick and bird! I know who sent it to me--and I will not be one of "those"!!!! SORRY, GOOD LUCK

I was just re-reading your previous thread. Your other chicken sounded like she could have Mareks, but sometimes cocci and other diseases can look like Mareks just because of the weakness. If you lose this one, I would definitely get a necropsy by your state vet, and ask them to check for Mareks.

Typical Marek's symptoms. NOTHING you can do, no cure, no treatment is successful. AND since it it a virus, do not waste antibiotics. Usually death follows in a short time (sometimes sudden death) and the few who do recover are carriers for life,infecting all your birds and future ones. Still some birds are naturally immune--so hope your other birds are safe. But we do not know this, so only hope our older birds won't show symptoms!! It is carried in the dander and you will have it on your clothing from coop to coop. And it is almost impossible to get the dander from coop floors, walls, feeders--every place the dust lands. Eggs are not infected, so you can hatch Marek's free chicks. However,vaccination, which must be done at hatch, as they will already be infected if in any way are with your other birds, and must be kept isolated for at least 2 weeks to develop immunity, is the only way to have a flock that will not get it in the future. Once you have it, you may ALWAYS have the long lived virus on your premises! AWFUL thing to happen to any one who cares about their poultry!! THe ONLY thing we can be grateful for, is that it is not painful for the birds, who just do not know why they cannot move about. They will eat and drink as long as they can reach food and water, until the neck and throat are paralyzed. Several other forms, tumors in the nerve tissue (may only be diagnosed from necropsy) and blindness are also Marek's infections. Friend sent me a hen carrier about 17 years ago, when I didn't know anything about it, precomputer days. Have vaccinated EVERY chick hatched for 14 years with very good success. Would NEVER purchase a bird that had not been vaccinated. NEVER purchase chicks from a hatchery that were not vaccinated.  Having had the virus on my place, I could not sell a bird that was not vaccinated--I care about each and every chick and bird!    I know who sent it to me--and I will not be one of "those"!!!!  SORRY, GOOD LUCK

Very well said. I too will never purchase a chick with being vaccinated. Unfortunately I learned the hard way, good luck with your chicken. Hang in there, I know it's tough. I would absolutely treat for cocci, there's no harm in it now.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. This is so frustrating.
I'll never buy birds again from someone.

I'll have to search to see where to buy corid. I'm in Alberta, canada
It may need to be purchased at a vet's office in Canada, and will be called Amprol. They should sell you what you need. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon on water for 5 to 7 days. Afterward, it would be best to give several days of vitamins and probiotics to replace beneficial bacterial and vitamins in the gut. Did you read the links for Mareks disease that I gave you in your first thread? Here is the thread, and they are in post number 3: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919073/unbalanced-laying-to-one-side-pullet

I did read the links you posted. It did sound like this is what she had. I just worry in case it is something else that's easily treatable. :(

There was a case last week that was similar, and the chicken responded to Corid treatment. Last month on here there were a few cases that sounded like mareks that also turned out to be coccidiosis when the sick birds were necropsied. That is why none of us can positively say it is one thing or another, without a necropsy. Corid treatment is pretty harmless, and it could be helpful. Many diseases which are listed in Nambroths Great Big Mareks Fac, can look like Mareks. I sure hope this turns out not to be Mareks, and your chicken recovers.

Back
Top Bottom