Pullet with sudden wobbling head movements. Help!

Fluffybutt11

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2023
Hi everyone I just need some advice to see if anyone has seen this before.

Just got some 6-8week old brahma pullets a few days ago. Today I noticed one had weird uncontrollable wobbly snake like head movements that lasted a few seconds and happened about every 5ish minutes. I noticed another do it also but only once. Toward the evening she stopped the wobbling but her tail is still down. I’m curious to see if she still does it tomorrow.
I’ll try to post a video of what I mean about the wobbling neck. EDIT: I don’t know how to attach the video sorry!
We have given them a mixture of chick starter and Pullet grower food to wean them off the chick starter. It’s mainly the grower food now.
She has been eating and drinking fine until today. I noticed she hadn’t eaten much today. I felt her crop and it felt big like a water balloon but she had been drinking a lot of water. The others crops are normal. She didn’t poop much today either and the others are pooping machines 😂

I have been advised that it could be that they are just getting used to the new feed or it could be sour crop. I’ve never seen this before in any chook and it worries me! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Videos must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or similar site with a link her and made shareable. It could be them adjusting their crops. To check crop function, do it in early morning before eating or drinking anything when it should feel empty and flat.

Yes, that looks like she is adjusting her crop. When they do this more than a couple times, and often, they may have something stuck, or have an impacted crop. Are you giving any treats other than grower and chick feed? Do you have some poultry grit available, and are they used to your waterers? Did they have nipple waterers before? Check in early morning to make sure the crop is empty. If it is not, and is full and hard, doughy, or puffy soft, let us know. I usually just keep my chickens on chicken starter grower 20% or an all flock feed until they start laying. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://the-chicken-chick.com/chick...MAL: the crop feels more,is stuck in the crop.

Yes, that looks like she is adjusting her crop. When they do this more than a couple times, and often, they may have something stuck, or have an impacted crop. Are you giving any treats other than grower and chick feed? Do you have some poultry grit available, and are they used to your waterers? Did they have nipple waterers before? Check in early morning to make sure the crop is empty. If it is not, and is full and hard, doughy, or puffy soft, let us know. I usually just keep my chickens on chicken starter grower 20% or an all flock feed until they start laying. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
We are only giving them the Pullet grower and chick starter at the moment. No treats until they get a little bigger.
It looks like they are used to the waterer. They like to go between the food and water a lot. I’ve just seen another do the neck thing but only once. I will try to give them some grit also. Should I mix it in with their food or allow them to eat it separately?
I’ve checked her crop and it’s much flatter than yesterday. It’s very soft but not puffy and feels like there is a little food and water in there (I made the mistake of not taking the feeder away last night). She also sleeps with her head down is that normal?
Is there anything else I should be giving them to help them?

Back
Top Bottom