2nd set and still no hatch

dhalezx12

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 20, 2011
Denton, NC
This is my second set in my LG. This time the chicks developed but still not hatch. For the first 18 days the humidity stayed around 45% and temps stayed between 99 & 100. The last three days the temps stayed right, but I could only get the humidity into the 60's. Could this be the problem? I have a cup with a sponge in it also, just cant get the humidity higher. I am new to this and still learning. Any help would be great.

Hwtching takes practice. People who have hatched for years still have problems hatching.
It took me 3 batches to finnally hatch. And it seemed to be right with temps and humid. But who knows.
I keep min 55 and then 70 to hatch. There is no specific temp you should incubate, i know peeps who incubate at 23 or 77. Just depends on the climate to.
Humidity needs surface area of water to rise. So get a bigger bowl, and should help you. Sorry if my advice seems jumbles. Im sleepy.lol
Tood luck on future hatchings, pm me if you would like to know anything else.

The eggs did not seem to be extra moist or dry. One had cracked the shell, but made no more progress. the eggs were wobbling for about 24 hours. Then everything stopped. I have 4 more eggs to lock down this evening, so I hope I can get something figured out!

hmmm...i had to put several soaked rolled up (long ways) paper towels in mine and had all the resiviours filled as well to get my humidity up to 65-70

Well I added a second dish with a sponge in it. Now half the incubator is filled up with dishes with water in them. Finally the humidity is up to 73%. I hope this is the problem. We will know tuesday! I hope I can get this figured out.

I use the Genesis 1588 and keep the humidity about 50% till last few days and then up it to closer to 60%. Has a fan and preset temp of 99.5. Mine hatch out quite well in it..

I would be more concerned about TOO much humidity than not enough...

If using a still air incubator I wonder if it makes a difference?

DO you candle your eggs during the incubation stage?? This can be helpful to determine if the moisture level in the egg is appropriate. THe eggs need to loss enough moisture so the chicks can turn around in the egg to zip.

Also, how the hens are fed effects the hatching of the eggs. Perhaps , just perhaps, this could be a contributing factor as many of the eggs are developing but don't hatch.

Hope all goes well!!!

I do candel the eggs, Some of my eggs are dark colors. That makes it hard to tell any details. When candeling them what am I looking for that would show too much moisture? I can usually tell devoloping eggs, but thats about all the skill I have!!!!

Ok, had 4 more eggs in lock down and no hatch again. I feel like giving up!
Here is my setup. I have a LG with a fan and auto turner. Temp @ 99.5 and humidity stays from 42 to 45 %. At day 18 I move them to another LG with a fan. Temp @ 99.5 and humidity this time 71 to 73%. No hatch. All chicks are developed but nothing further. It must be something after day 18. I dont know what to do or where to go from here. I have the eggs in the turner small point down then lay them on there side in the lock down bator. Also these are Silkie eggs. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom