2nd Shift who else works it and hates it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bantamman13, Dec 3, 2008.

1. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Don't get me wrong very happy that my chosen profession has not been affected yet by the economy and am very thankful for the job. But 2 to 10 is a horrible shift for a family man. Just wanted to rant as I getting ready for work. [​IMG]

2. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    I work 3:30-midnight, but my family consists of a mom and sister. I've worked this shift so long, I don't think I could do anything different. Yeah, it does cut into "family time". That would be tough for someone with a family of their own.

3. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Both my boyfriend and I work second shift. Ours is 3-11:30. We love it cause we get to sleep in. I just wish we got 2 days in a row off. But nope, off Wensdays and Sundays.

When we have kids I plan to home school so they can see him more.

4. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    growing up my mom worked swing shifts, two weeks on each. she would always trade her days for second shift. she didn't mind it so much. she also worked in the same dept and her boyfriend. so i am sure that made it better. plus they didn't do much on second shift.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was forced to retire this year due to health issues, before that I worked one 24 hour shift a week.
    My SO works three 10 hour days on second shift and one 10 hour day on third.
    We make it work by living our whole lives on the night shift. We get up between 10 and noon. We eat "breakfast" around 1 PM and supper when he gets home from work at 12:30 to 1 AM. Then we have our together time before going to bed around 3 or 4.
    Even though my SO has worked this shift for 27 years, his boss still doesn't get it. Eight AM calls from him are frequent and he doesn't understand why we're still in bed! Like my SO has tried to tell him over and over again, people that get off at 5 PM don't go home and straight to bed, why should we?
    Obviously this only works and allows us to have a normal home life because we don't have young children at home. Our animals are all used to our schedule. Even my chickens lay their eggs in the late afternoon/early evening.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i worked 3-11 for many,many years..it is sooo hard with a family!..i also worked 11-7 for a long time also...which is harder on the body..but a bit easier on the family...becasue you can be awake when they are awake..working those shifts for so many years..has also made me be able to stay awake all night..i still cant get out of that sleep pattern..[​IMG]..

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:It's a horrible shift for most people except night owls, who come home ( or go out) after work and stay up all night, and sleep all day. I HATE it.

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My DH worked 3 twelves one week and 4 twelves the next. He'd go to work as I was coming home and then in bed while I was at work all day. Our marriage suffered big time. He was able to switch to an 8hr 1st shift job and things are soooo much better.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My schedule is soooo varied, and I hate working the shifts that end at 10 p.m.
    Sometimes its 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., and never 2 days in a row off.

I have to be up early to get the kids to school and feed the animals, so those days are very long.

Supposedly in Jan. I'll be going on the 8-6 shift, I'm not holding my breath though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by