2nd snake in Coop

nccatnip

Songster
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Piedmont area NC
I just got another black snake in the coop. I know that is one of the joys of being in the country and having chickens but I just cannot stand it. This one was up in the rafters while I thoughly cleaned, relitter place new nesting boxes, etc. watching me the whole time. Creepy.
The last one was up on the rafters also so my question is until I can get hardware cloth on all the walls would tacking down those carpet strips with the teeth in the deter them from at least getting up in the rafters? Any body have any suggestions?
Is there anything like snake traps available? The first one was 5 1/2 ft, this guy today was about 4 ft.
Edited to add: Is it an old wive's tale that pigs will eat snakes? I can always get one and pen it around the coop.

Last edited:
I dont know how to get rid of them I never tried.. I want to keep my black snakes..They are great at getting rid of rodents.. Maybe it was chasing a mouse or rat??

maybe. or just looking for a dry quiet place to sleep. i know a little bout snakes, if it was solid black it's prolly a black racer or rat snake. i've never heard of rat snakes going after eggs or small birds. but then again your king snakes will eat ANYTHING even rattlesnakes(their favorite). i hope you find a solution, snakes really are handy as long as their not venomous or in your coop.

Rat snakes are great for rodents but they can't pass up a nest of eggs or baby chicks. Once they have found and easy meal ticket they will keep lining up at the buffet.
Monty

really, rat snakes eating eggs learn sumthin new everyday. the problem with sulfer is you have to replace it ie after it rains and the smell.

Quote:
Not black snakes! They get HUGE.

My baby roo was killed by a black snake at 5 weeks old. Here's what I did:
Mothballs and Snake-away or sulfar along the outside of the chicken yard. I don't mind the smell. Just smells like hard boiled eggs to me.
tongue.png

It also doesn't hurt that I have 4 male snake huntin cats that patrol the outside of the chicken yard.

When you find one grab it by it's neck and rehome it far away OR if you chose to kill it (I don't kill animals, that's just me) I've heard you hang the dead body on a fence post or a tree branch and it keeps snakes from coming on your property. It sounds crazy but I know a lot of people who do it every year and after the first snake is dead and hanging, no more for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
yikes....I am sure if I saw a dead body hanging....I would slither the other way!!! lol I dont mind the black snakes either however, when my chicks were little one found its way into their cage.....he is no longer among the living because I knew he would be back for another snack. But the second time we found a snake here my son grabbed it and re homed it.

The chickens will eat baby snakes and snakes will definately eat eggs and chicks....

Country living....wouldn't give it up for the world.
Tink:)

Back
Top Bottom