2nd time hatching shipped eggs

1876 Farm

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Northern Illinois/ Waukesha WI
Today I received 7 Cream Legbar eggs, from a different BYC member than my first shippment.

The eggs were packaged very well. A couple of things that I will comment on, with regards to shipping and packaging:

1) This member used a large mailing box instead of a Regional Rate Box A box - The advantage of this is that it didn't fit into my mailbox in any direction, so the postal worker had to bring it to my door and not squeeze it into my mailbox.

2) I liked that the BYC member marked the box "Honey Fragile", what postal worker wants honey on the mail they are delivering?

3) There was 1 thin layer of bubble wrap on top. I'm not sure if this would have added much protection if the eggs had slipped out of their individual wrapping, BUT there is not way that they could have, so the eggs were safe!!

4) Next each egg was individually wrapped and packed in tight. The bubble wrap used had these huge bubbles, never saw anything like that. I think it provided more cushioning than the small bubble wrap.

5) The final (or perhaps the 1st layer of protection in the box) was the large cushions or air. The box was lined in these cushions.

6) Here's all 7 of the eggs... I've shows them with and without a flash.

7) And finally, I candled each egg and outlined the air sac. These air sacs were in much better shape than my 1st shipped eggs (which resulted in none of the eggs hatching)..

I will let these eggs sit quietly for a day or so and then they will go under my broody hen. So check back periodically, I will add pictures of my broody hen sitting on the eggs and then in 21+ days I will hopefully post all the beautiful little chicks that hatch!!

(For reference: "1st time hatching shipped eggs" can be found at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/872953/1st-time-hatching-shipped-eggs

wow! these where shipped greatly! its always a worry buying shipped eggs, i've done it once and the results were quite good, 8 out of 12 ended up hatching, im quite pleased! you mustnt be too worried if the first shipment of eggs were a failure!
keep me posted on how they go!
big_smile.png

I'm always hopeful that the next hatch will be better than the previous.

Eggs were successfully set under my broody hen. Now it's up to her to keep them warm until they hatch. She has her work cut out for her, last night we got down into the mid 30s, it was snowing here this morning. :-( I think tonight is supposed to be just as cold. It looks like it is definitely going to be a late spring/summer.

I can't even get myself motivated about getting my garden in, which I normally do over the Memorial weekend. I don't even have all my seeds.

wow! sounds cold! I live in Australia and there's never been snow here where I live!! but that's probably a good thing cos' im not a big fan of the cold!
hopefully your broody goes well, and keeps the eggs nice and warm!

good luck!

wow! sounds cold! I live in Australia and there's never been snow here where I live!! but that's probably a good thing cos' im not a big fan of the cold!
hopefully your broody goes well, and keeps the eggs nice and warm!

good luck!

Thanks... this is a little late for snow, but it does happen. Seems like we are having a repeat of last year, it was a very cold spring.

Just wondering how this hatch turned out. I have a broody hen, she will be sitting on shipped eggs as well in the next day or two. I've read the eggs need to rest wide side up for 24 hours.

Thanks!

Deb

Quote:
I had 1 little rooster hatch from this set. :) I have a thrid set of CCL eggs under another broody hen, due to hatch on the 26th. I just need a little hen now to go with my lille roo. I did hatch out 5 BO from 8 shipped eggs (4 healthy, 1 not)... so was happy with that number. They didn't start hatching until day 24 or 25. I let all of mine sit for 24 hours (the buffs sat for 48 hours), I've heard from one person that they don't beleive it really matters, the sooner the better.

Thanks for the reply. My eggs came today and they are setting in a cool room, pointy side down in a paper egg carton. I will set them tomorrow night.!

Congrats on the hatch and well wishes for this new hatch, sending pullet power your way!!!

Deb

Thanks for the reply.  My eggs came today and they are setting in a cool room, pointy side down in a paper egg carton.  I will set them tomorrow night.!

Congrats on the hatch and well wishes for this new hatch, sending pullet power your way!!!

Deb

Congratulations and sending positive thoughts to you hen and that each time you check on her she's on the right eggs (that's always my worry)
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom